Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! weight lifting and prolapse

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Deirdre

i have a moderate prolapse and i am not quite sure about using weight while working out. i have been doing the workouts on your dvd and scouring your blog for information, and that combined with my altered body image since having my second baby is causing me to re-evaluate the way i used to exercise…in a very positive way! (i used to go through the motions at the gym.) my husband is very fit…and uses a variety of tools and some weight when he works out and i really want to join in. i just don’t know if i can. specifically, he uses a trx, a bulgarian weight bag and kettle bells. i like the trx and i think that is probably ok for doing arm workouts. can i use it for planks, where my feet are suspended off the ground and things of that nature? i am not really too concerned with the kettle bells…i don’t enjoy them as much…but one exercise i do like is the kettle bell swing / squat…where you hold the kettle bell with one or both hands and swing it between your legs as you are squatting and then swing it up to about face level as you stand. these work better with more weight. say a 35 lb bell for me. i am 125 lbs. the thing i am also wondering about is the bulgarian weight bag. which is based on basically throwing something over your shoulder. i have a 17 lb bag and it is meant to be swung up and over your head and around your body, and things of that nature. you can easily see these work outs on youtube if you are not familiar with them. i enjoy these types of workouts because they mimic more realistic movements. you are not on a machine and need to stabilize your body and core in order to do them. i just don’t see anything information that touches on this type of thing. i read somewhere that women with prolapse shouldn’t lift more than 50 lbs., but what if you are swinging 35lbs? any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! love your dvd and blog. i just read the post today about getting rid of the belly/mommy pooch…it makes so much sense! i am trying your suggestions…and boy is it hard! thanks!!

Tasha Mulligan

Deidre,
    There are so many different workouts out there and none of them are wrong. The key is- can you perform the workouts without any short breath holds? How much flexion is in the workout? If you can navigate your way through these workouts, which are a great combination of cardio and weight lifting, without a lot of the negatives then it will be beneficial for your body. Remember, I love extension bias exercises, so the trx would be my favorite tool. And yes planks with the trx are perfect as long as you are at that conditioning level!

Keep us all informed of your progress as you are working through different exercises that many may be interested in. Don’t hesitate to eliminate specific exercises that just don’t feel right. I have added and eliminated exercises that work for me for years. That is how I came up with the Advanced Program!

-Tasha

Deirdre

thank you for your reply! that is exciting news. i will certainly post any workouts that i come across as i continue toward my goal of being a strong and healthy mom! and since my last post…i really enjoying practicing my posture. it is still hard…but i find that my body awareness is improving and i notice i “catch” myself practicing proper posture more and more often. : )

Tasha Mulligan

Deirdre,
    You are on the right track of “body awareness”. You will be your own best coach and as I said you will continue to tweak your program according to how your body is responding for years to come!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.