Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! uterine prolapse, rectocele, cystocele

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Shree

Hi Tasha,

I have a stage 3 uterine prolapse with rectocele and cystocele for over a year. I have tried pessaries of various shapes and sizes but the only one that works somewhat is a ring pessary. It puts pressure on the rectum though. Lately, I have been feeling the bulge even with the pessary.

I do not want a hysterectomy or a uterine sparing surgery.

Is this condition reversible? If not, is it manageable long-term without a surgery?

Many thanks.

Shree

Hi Tasha,

I read a post from you earlier where you recommend not using a pessary while doing the exercises. I just came across the following from Michelle Kenway.

Pelvic Exercises Prolapse Strengthening Techniques

“Women who are successfully fitted with a vaginal pessary frequently report that their pelvic floor exercises become much easier to perform than previously without the pessary in place.”

Feeling confused.

Could you please explain?

Many thanks.

Shree

Hi Tasha,

While I have been waiting to hear from you, here are more questions:

–Is it possible to talk with you on the phone?
    –Has any of your patients been able to avoid a surgery and manage or reverse a stage 3 or higher uterine prolapse, with cystocele (midline), cystocele (lateral), and rectocele? If yes, is it possible to have an active life with long walks/hikes/stairmaster in the gym, etc.?

Many thanks.

Tasha
    Keymaster

Hi Shree,
    Michelle Kenway’s program is different from mine in that I believe strongly in the pelvic basket of muscles vs isolation of the pelvic floor, and I believe with every fiber of my being that the TA is the cornerstone of successful rehab…she does not want you to contract the TA.

One thing I have going for me is I am a mother of 3 that experienced a grade III cystocele after the birth of my first child. It was during this time that I wrote the Hab It program for myself and my own rehab. So, as a physical therapist, I was able to feel for myself how individual exercises felt and the effect they had on my prolapse. Beyond that, I worked through and tweaked this program two more times after the birth of my 2nd and 3rd children as my prolapse returned after each deilivery. I finalized a program that absolutely works! I have the Educate Yourself section on this site that lays out every last explanation that I have. Great information in there that will benefit you!

In the end, I don’t believe that there is any physical therapist out there that would provide a program they don’t believe in. The personal experience that I have with prolapse myself has just made me so confident in what I teach that I believe every woman would benefit from it!

That being said, with all three pelvic organs prolapsed, you have a challenge. So your posture, your mastery of control of each muscle of your pelvic basket, and your breath is of ultimate importance. Unfortunately, with your rectocele, there is no pessary that will fit low enough to help that prolapse. There is, however, a young lady on the http://www.prolapsehealth.com forum that has had a prolapse of all three organs and she has shared her use of a sea sponge as it doesn’t cause as much cross fiber pressure within her vaginal canal and it doesn’t give the downward pressure on her rectocele. I would highly recommend this forum for your own reference.

Tasha

Shree

Thanks so much, Tasha.

–Do you think I could manage and live with the prolapse of all three organs without a surgery if I do my exercises regularly?
    –Have you worked with anyone with my condition and seen her avoid surgery?

Shree

Thanks so much, Tasha!

–Do you think I could manage and live with the prolapse of all three organs without a surgery if I do my exercises regularly?
    –Have you worked with anyone with my condition and seen her avoid surgery?

Tasha
    Keymaster

Shree,
    I will always take the approach that symptoms can be managed with rehab until every option has been exhausted. At that point you can go into a choice of surgery knowing that you have given it your all. Be patient with rehab and posture – you can always decide it is time for surgery – but once you make that choice there is no reversing it!

There is a young mother on http://www.prolapsehealth.com (she is the creator of that site) that has all three prolapses, with a pretty significant uterine prolapse. She would be a great resource for you – and yes she worked through the Hab It dvd and also has other great suggestions on what has worked for her.

tasha

Shree

Thanks, Tasha!
    I will check out her website.

Shree

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.