Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Update & Questions

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Tasha Mulligan

Patty,
    So glad you found all the resources on our Hab It site. Yet another resource for you is at http://www.prolapsehealth.com. This is a site with an open forum where women with prolapse discuss everything from exercise to nutrition, alternative therapies, and more.

Now, on to your questions. First posture. Allow your search for neutral spine posture to take place gradually. Do not force your lordotic curve. Allow a daily ritual of multifidi extensions to gradually progress your available low back extension. After years of a flat back, you can not force a lordotic curve in just weeks without pain. Let it be gradual. Spend some time on your stomach – at first with a pillow under your hips – to slowly get your body out of flexion.

And you are right, it is really tough, near impossible to relax your pelvic floor when you are actively working to pull your TA up and in. With time your standing posture will become more automatic and less conscious work. You will find that simply from consistent work with your TA, it will hold increased tone without you actively having to pull it “up and in”. Until you get to this automatic state with your posture, I would recommend that you perform your 2 step kegels on your back with your knees bent. For now, let all of your kegels be in this position.

As for your question on feeling your pelvic floor contract during “Hands and knees TA Lift” – this is fantastic. It highlights the co-contraction of these two muscles. That becomes an unconscious contraction and is perfect! Just like you feel your PF tone increase when trying to stand correctly. Your body is responding correctly and you are feeling the increased tone from the lift of your tail bone as well as the passive co-contraction that occurs when you engage your TA in standing. Now keep in mind, you are working really hard on your posture and so even though you are only performing 8 two step Kegels each day, you can still experience fatigue of your pelvic floor because of all the activation that is occuring with your diligent work on posture. This is just fine, but you may feel your symptoms get worse toward the end of your day as you body works to increase your endurance. Recognize an increase in symptoms as this fatigue and give your body a break by sitting or laying down as you gradually increase the endurance of your deep core stabilizers.

Finally, that marching on the swiss ball. This is an old “stand by” core stabilizer. It’s not that it is bad, but for you right now, introducing the flexion of a leg when you are working hard to establish slight extension of your lumbar spine, it is probably not your best exercise. Since you are still working to finding neutral spine in sitting and looking to feel pressure on your pubic bone from your pelvic tilt in sitting, I would rather recommend simple front and back rolls on the swiss ball. This exercise requires a wide position of your feet (wider than shoulder width apart) while you roll the swiss ball forward by rocking your pelvis until you feel pressure on your tail bone, then roll the ball back until you feel pressure up front on your pubic bone. Hold this extended position for a 3 count and the roll the ball forward again. You can perform as many reps as you like on this exercise. It is a nice mobility exercise for your pelvis and lumbar spine.

Hope all this helps!

– Tasha

Patty E

Thank you!! That was really encouraging! I have been quite concerned at how stressed my PF feels by afternoon, and the pain has been agonizing. I didn’t realize what was going on. You’re right…I am working SO hard on posture, and I feel that PF tightening all day. (A combo bladder/yeast infection last week didn’t help!). I’ve just never had these problems before and it’s so discouraging!

Thanks for the alternate ball exercise. It is uncomfortable now when I tuck my tailbone under….since I’ve been working so hard to change my spinal curve….probably too hard.

I do have a couple of other questions about the exercises. I’ve been having muscle spasms in my left “back pocket muscle” off and on since I started doing Workout #2, especially when I’m riding my exercise bike. Will that go away? And…is it OK that I can only open up on the “clams” a few inches? Otherwise I’m pretty flexible…because of one of your posts, I’m enjoying sitting cross-legged on the floor again!

Thanks again–you are such a blessing!

Patty

Tasha Mulligan

Patty,
    Keep in mind a healthy body has to have flexion and extension. This is to maximize blood flow and open neural pathways, so mobility is huge. We want to strengthen into extension, but as far as stretching, we need to go both ways.

I have a thought that you are “on” too much. You are experiencing muscle spasms because you aren’t relaxing your muscles. I always describe this as the “white knuckle effect”. If you squeeze your fist tight and hold that fist, your knuckles turn white because there is no blood flow getting through the tight fist. The same thing can happen to muscles that are always “on”. It would be of great benefit for you to focus on relaxation of your pelvic basket whenever you get the opportunity to get on your back or stomach. Visualize this allowing fresh blood flow to come to your muscles.

As for your clams. two inches is really limited range for hip external rotation. My guess, again, is because your glute medius is in spasm. Work consistent relaxation when you get an opportunity to get off your feet and see if this range of motion improves over the next two weeks.

Tasha

cyn

Tasha…. after a bit of studying I find I’m definitely in the category of urge incontinence…… decades of it.
    I can jump , run and lift etc with no trouble..
    my pelvic floor muscles seem rather strong and knowledgeable in general.. I can do the kegels and hang on to vaginal weights…..
    . ……………. But when I get home to my front door… YIKES!! and I can get up all night… 2-7 times..
    I am guessing I need to get stronger to over come that urge .. I’m doing the exercises .. I am having conversations with my bladder about who is the boss, and when its appropriate to interrupt my night.

Is there a syndrome starting earlier in life?
    As a kid..I had bedwetting till puberty.. it stopped immediately with my period….
    As a teen I recall how odd it was that whenever I lay in bed reading I would have to get up to go every half hour (more or less…..) I couldnt lay still for long relaxing.

It seems I’ve always been run ragged by my bladder…

Do you have any words for this particular variation of the problem?

Thanks

Tasha Mulligan

Cyn,
    Very interesting! Your initial description is definitely urge incontinence versus stress incontinence. Studies have shown a combination of exercise, posture, and behavioral training is the most successful form of treatment for urge incontinence. This begins with journaling your voiding behavior then consciously working to lengthen times between bathroom breaks. Force yourself to work through a set of 4 two step kegels when you feel the “urge” to go. You can do this in sitting or laying down positions as you consciously work to train your body to work against the involuntary smooth muscle relaxation at your bladder neck.

Childhood bedwetting or urge incontinence is often treated with visualization techniques and behavioral training as well. As an adult, visualization can work as well with urge incontinence. Recognition that you are trying to voluntarily control what has become an involuntary response is important. Similar to an ability to lower your heart rate with by controlling your breathing and controlling overall body relaxation, you can develop a control over the smooth muscle of your bladder starting with controlling your thoughts. A book that has received great reviews from colleagues can be found at http://www.amazon.com/Dry-All-Night-Technique-Bedwetting/dp/0316542261 . Although this book is for children and focuses on bedwetting, I think there is a nice lesson in the power of the mind!

-Tasha

cyn

Thanks… yes.. We (myself and bladder) doing a lot of negotiating about when and where I go…who is in charge of it… setting times .. it often works…
    also quit all caffeine..

I will work on the heart rate.

I\’ll check the book. It\’s always been a mystery.. (and of course.. very hard to live with)

thanks…

Tasha Mulligan

Cyn,
    Keep in mind that you have been dealing with this for a very long time. It will take a consistent effort over a period of months to feel as though you hold complete control over your bladder. Keep us updated as you work through various steps of improvement.

-Tasha

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.