Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! TA Activation

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    KSH

Hi Tasha,

Am I supposed to take a big deep breath in while activating TA muscles at the start of a kegal? Then while holding both pelvic muscles and TA muscles, breath out? I’m never holding my breath, but breathing very deeply. If I don’t take a deep breath, I feel like I am “bearing down” too much….does it sound like I am doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Tasha
    Keymaster

KSH,
    I don’t like the big deep breath as a long term solution to activating your pelvic floor and TA because this is not functional. When you are up and moving around, you need to activate your pelvic floor and TA when called upon, you don’t have time to pause and take in that deep breath.

So my advise would be for you to work your Kegels and TA activation on your back, maybe even going into a bridge to further assist these muscles with gravity until you are able to activate them with an even breathing pattern. No big breath, no breath hold.

If you aren’t able to grasp this on your own, I would recommend you make an appointment with a Women’s Health PT. You can find one in your area by going to http://www.apta.org and clicking on Find a PT.

tasha

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.