Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! SPD / Pelvic Girdle Pain & Exercise

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Helen

Dear Tasha – I have been diagnosed with a moderate (grade 2) cystocele (and possibly mild prolapse of uterus and rectocele) further to the birth of my son 8 weeks ago and recently bought the DVD and started the exercises (I also have a diastasis which has reduced from 4 finger widths to 2 finger widths in separation and have SPD / Pelvic Girdle Pain which isn’t too awful but which developed during my third trimester and hasn’t yet subsided). I wondered which of the exercises on the DVD should be avoided, if any, please in view of the SPD / PGP? I had some SPD pain when undertaking leg lifts lying on my back and when squeezing the ball between my knees so should I stop these exercises until the SPD has improved? I am desperate to try and reduce the prolapses by strengthening my core, I don’t think my pelvic floor is too bad given I had a traumatic delivery (my physiotherapist gave my pelvic floor effectiveness as 3 out of 5?) but I’ll obviously keep working on my PF muscles daily. I am a keen horse rider and tennis player and am worried that I won’t be able to enjoy these activities again unless I have surgery. Thank you for your help and I really am enjoying the workouts so far although am taking things gently.

Tasha Mulligan

Helen,
    I want to be careful in interpreting the acronyms you have given in your description. I am assuming in using the abbreviation SPD, you mean pubic symphysis disorder (As PTs we abbreviate all the time and often the use is not universal!) I also note that you are seeing a physiotherapist, so she will have much more knowledge of your body with a hands on evaluation than I ever will through a subjective description, especially when it comes to articulation of the pelvis, sacrum, and lumbar spine. I will however encourage you to stay the course with exercise and the hands on treatment of your physiotherapist to help you stabilize your pelvis and progress your strength.

It is important that you work your entire pelvic basket of muscles. The Hab It dvd has exercises that will help to reduce your diastasis as well. Let surgery be the furthest thing from your mind at this point and just focus on body balance and gentle progression of strength. Work with your physio to help you understand the source of your pubic symphysis pain so you can decipher pain with activities you should stop and dull pain that is just stressing the area but won’t make it worse. This is a fine line in your recovery.

Keep us updated on your steady improvement!

Tasha

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.