Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Sitting posture at work

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Caralynn

Tasha,
    I’ve been working at all of this for some time now and I feel like I have a good understanding. However, I have a desk job where I work on a computer do my palms are always down when I’m typing. Is there anyway to get into optimal posture while I’m at my desk and typing. Also, do you have any tips for staying in neutral spine in the car as I’m finding that difficult as well.
    Thanks do much!

Tasha
    Keymaster

Caralynn,
    Typing at the computer is tough. The suggestions I have for you is to be sure your office chair is high enough so that your hips are higher than your knees. This will set your lumbar spine in neutral and have you accepting some weight on both feet while sitting throughout your work day. All very positive! As we look up the postural chain, be sure you are close enough to your computer so that your elbows can rest right at the side of your ribs. This reduces your reach forward which pulls your shoulder blades around to a protracted position and your head follows. With your elbows at the side of your ribs, your shoulder blades can sit comfortably in a neutral position, neutrally spaced about 1 inch from your spine – a nice solid scapular position to help hold your 8lb head where it is supposed to be 🙂

As for your car, this is even tougher. In newer cars you can tilt the seat, to lift the hips and lower the knees. Do this if you can. If not, you may look to by a seat wedge that can attempt to do this same thing. Then grab your steering wheel at 9 and 3 o’clock so that your thumbs are up.

That’s it from me! Have a great day!

tasha

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.