Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! running in midlife with rectocele

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lori

Hello Tasha,
    I’m 52 years old with a rectocele. I’m not sure what grade, it was diagnosed last summer by my midlife practitioner and I have not been to a doctor for further diagnosis. I am certain my provider is correct, I have all the symptoms of a rectocele. I have symptoms such as bulging, a swollen feeling, pain and a feeling of fullness in my rectum.I am working really hard to avoid surgery.

I’ve tried a number of things, including physical therapy that was somewhat helpful and dietary changes and supplements which helped to regulate me. What’s helped the most so far is your video. I’ve been using it religiously for about 5 weeks, with positive and encouraging results so far. I also use a Swiss ball at work and try to be aware of my posture. I have days now when I feel almost completely back to normal, interspersed with days where I have some mild to moderate discomfort, and an occasional bad day. This is after going for weeks at a time in pain and misery. Progress!

My question is, I used to do interval training a few times a week and I just loved it. It was my primary form of exercise along with weightlifting, and it kept me very healthy and fit. I saw in posts from others that some women have been able to go back to running with prolapses that involve urinary incontinence. My question is, in your experience is it possible to run again with a rectocele? And does a woman’s age factor in? I went through menopause 3 years ago and I know that brings with it issues related to hormonal changes, which my provider is helping me with too.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for all you do for women with prolapse. I can tell you that this is a topic no one wants to talk about, and I think that is a shame. So many women living with pain and discomfort and other symptoms, and suffering in silence.

Regards,
    Lori

Tasha
    Keymaster

Lori,
    You can get back to your higher intensity workouts but I would encourage you to go through my Hab It Cardio program first. Within this program, I am talking/educating you through the what and why we modify this exercise or what we want to focus on contracting in this exercise. It would be of great benefit for you to go through this program for 4 weeks or so before getting back into running or HIT training exercise classes.

You may also take some time to read through the topic High Intesity Exercise in the Education Section on this site for a look ahead at what I want you focused on moving forward!

Awesome to set these fitness goals for yourself.

tasha

Carol

May I ask re dietary changes and supplements which helped please re rectocele?

Tasha
    Keymaster

Carol,
    We’ll see if Lori responds to this question. The honest truth is that I have heard women talk about a range of dietary changes that have helped them. Similar to optimal nutrition – it is different for every single person. Some talk about Kefir, some talk high fiber, some take magnesium.

Take a look at http://www.prolapsehealth.com. Dietary changes are discussed in depth on that site. I’m your exercise/posture guru with a few opinions on nutrition 🙂

Tasha

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.