Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Road cycling

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tasha 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

RM

Hi Tasha,

As per comments from other users, thank you for creating this site and encouraging women to remain active after discovering pelvic floor weakness. I was a keen runner and road cyclist before pregnancy and am keen to get back to cycling as love cardio.

I am 8 months PP – things have improved but I still have symptoms when standing and walking (annoying rather than painful). I did the Hab-It DVD early postpartum but for the past 3 months I have been doing daily Hypopressives and interval sessions on my turbo trainer (with support from a PT trained in Hypopressives). I’ve recently purchased the advanced stabilisation and pylometric workouts to mix things up and build strength. I don’t do many kegals as am prone to tension. Would be great if you could help on a few questions…

– I follow your advice on bike positioning and have zero symptoms while on the bike and immediately after. However, sometimes I get increased urine frequency for the rest of the day. It doesn’t bother me massively but wondering if this suggests I’m doing something wrong or pushing myself too hard?
    – It is hard to cycle near me without hitting hills. I have low gears on my bike (compact chainset). Is it ok to do some hills as long as I remain in the saddle with low gear and increased cadence?
    – While walking in posture, I feel like I am sucking in and not breathing as deeply as I would normally – is this ok?

Thanks!

#63519 Reply

Tasha
    Keymaster

No, you are doing nothing wrong with your biking, but the pressure our bike seats put on our pubic bone and the soft tissue underneath can cause a bit of hyperactivity of those muscles. We know our pelvic floor attaches there, so your urge sensation following biking is more than likely from this pressure or the stretch that your pelvic floor is on while in appropriate bike position. This isn’t detrimental to your pelvic floor health and the frequency or urge you feel may be better controlled if you just know why you are getting that sensation!

I am fine with hills on the bike. In saddle or out. Just be sure to keep that forward lean, chest up as you are pulling! I have seen some round the back out and pull more on hills versus standing with chest up and forward lean, or decrease tension/increase cadence. Sounds like your hill climbing has the right focus!

When you are walking and feeling like you are not getting in a deep breath. This will get better as you relax just a bit. I like this description initially because it means you are really thinking about all the little things like pushing off your big toe, chest up, breathing with chest elevation and expansion. It probably means you are drawing your TA in a bit too much, but like I said, I am okay with this and as you get more comfortable you will relax things a bit.

Great questions – sounds like you are on a healthy recovery path!

tasha

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Road cycling
Your information: