Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Rectal prolapse

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nat

Dear Tasha,

Thanks so much for this site. I’ve been reading here and elsewhere, and I’m confused about whether I should be doing Kegels or not, and whether my pelvic floor is too strong, too weak or a bit of both.

I’ve suffered a lot from constipation and when straining a few days ago I had a mild rectal prolapse, which then retracted completely (I think this happened a few times before but even milder, and I didn’t realise what was happening – it felt more like a spasm). Since reading about this, I now think I have also had rectocele for a long time as I seem to have a lot of the symptoms (although no noticeable bulge).

Since starting to follow advice on posture (i.e. not aiming for a flat back) I have noticed an improvement in my digestion so that is a good sign to begin with. I am extremely keen to do all I can to protect myself in the future, and would love your thoughts on the best program for me to start with. I’ve been doing 3 sets of 10 Kegel exercises daily since discovering what is wrong but it’s too early to tell whether this is helping or hindering. I dread visiting the toilet and find it hard to relax when I get there. My vagina seems normal (sex is fine) but I have occasionally had a tiny bit of stress incontinence and I always need to pee during the night.

I am mid-40s, very fit (I do a lot of dance and a bit of running), and I’ve had 3 children. My diet is good – though as I mentioned I have a tendency to suffer from constipation all the same.

Thanks again.

Nat

Nat

Just to be clear, one of the things I’m confused about is that for several people with symptoms like mine you recommend strengthening the pelvic basket rather than the pelvic floor muscles specifically – but because of all the dance I do I think my pelvic basket must be in good shape. My core is very strong, for example, as are thighs, buttocks, etc. I have always been taught to tighten the pelvic floor when dancing. But perhaps there is still something that isn’t working right, or perhaps the different muscle groups aren’t working right together?

Also I realise that the main focus of my recovery – as well as posture – must be avoiding constipation. Unfortunately this is something I’ve struggled to get under control, and I don’t want to take laxatives. I’ve had IBS of different kinds for much of my adult life and am working on that as well!

Thanks. Sorry I’ve written so much.

Tasha
    Keymaster

Hi Nat,
    I would highly recommend that you start with the Hab It dvd or digital program. Although you are confident in your core strength and glute strength, how about your multifidi and its co-contraction with your TA, and how about your deep hip rotators. With your description of episodes of stress incontinence it is clear that we aren’t firing on all cylinders. Can be a firing pattern issue vs individual muscle weakness. The only way for you to find out is to go through the program. So my best recommendation is for you to begin workouts 1-4 and to read through the Educate Yourself section thoroughly!

Tasha

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.