Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! questions related to excercises

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

1) Clams and Hip Abduction:
    Breathing pattern-> When I open up my knees should i breatheout and pull stomach in/Engage Core.
    When you say: Open it up ,squeeze and lower. What to squeeze here? Do we have to pull pelvic floor up? at what part of pelvic floor should we feel pressure in this excercise.Difficult for me to understand.Please help.
    2) Bridge with Adduction Squeeze
    When we take hips up squuexe hips, knees, do we have to pull pelvic floor up?

Tasha
    Keymaster

Hi Kanchan,
    When working your Clams, I do not want you focused on pulling your stomach in or on breathing out at a specific time. Simply continue with a regular breathing pattern – no breath hold throughout any exercise. Rather on the clams, focus on the muscle that I highlight – the gluteus medium. This exercise is an isolation of the gluteus medium and some of your deepest hip rotators – especially when you squeeze your heels together as instructed. In the video I have my hand on the glute med. Follow all my verbal cues closely.

You next question during clams and during bridging – you are very focused on your pelvic floor. The only exercise within the Hab It program that is directly focused on the pelvic floor are your two step kegels. Read through the topic “Pelvic Basket Muscles” in the Educate Yourself section to truly understand this. Your pelvic floor is simply a piece of the rehab puzzle to improve prolapse or incontinence symptoms. You have to be able to recruit the muscles of the rest of the basket to improve your symptoms. So when I have you work clams to recruit your glute med – focus on your gluteus medium! And when I give instruction to focus on your gluten, low back extensors, and inner thighs on another exercise -focus on those muscles.

Your pelvic floor is just a piece of the puzzle – focusing just on your floor will leave you symptomatic!

Ellie

Oh, on the topic of the clams and hip abduction exercises – I’ve found in both that when I try and squeeze the gluteus medium of the upper leg, I also end up squeezing the one on the lower leg too. I can’t help it, it just happens. Then the lower gluteus medium gets quite fatigued. Should I be able to isolate them so that I’m only squeezing the upper one?

Tasha
    Keymaster

Ellie,
    That is perfect! You are correct and I must give you kudos for being so “in tune” with your body. That lower leg glute med will fire as well as you work your clams. When you pay attention like this, you will feel this type of stabilization occurring with everything you do. Every reach, every push, every pull has to have a stabilizing force.

tasha

Ellie

Thanks for the reassurance Tasha and you’re right, I am “in tune” with my body, perhaps too much so. Haha I’m very aware of everything that goes on, which has it’s up and down sides. 😉 It also makes total sense that every movement has to have a stabilizing force. Thanks again. 🙂

Ellie

*its, not it’s* 😉

Tasha
    Keymaster

Ha, if you focused on all my typos we’d be in big trouble. Or that darn auto correct that keeps changing words like gluteus medius to gluteus medium!!!

Tasha

Ellie

Haha…I teach English as a second language, so I’m a stickler for grammar! It’s an annoying habit of mine. Lol I wondered about that “Gluteus Medium”…haha As you can see in my above post, I just copied you and wrote the same, as I assumed I didn’t know the correct name. Haha Now I understand. 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.