Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Pulled muscle in pelvic floor

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ashley

Hi Tasha,
    I recently started the Hab-It pelvic floor exercises. After the birth of my third child in June of 2011 I experienced uterine prolapse and some bladder prolapse (just slightly, though). Last December I think I pulled a muscle in my pelvic floor (from what I can find on the internet it\’s the bulbocavernosus muscle). I started Workout 2 last night and had difficulty with the hands and knees leg extensions. When I did those it pulled/hurt that muscle. I\’ve had difficulty since last December stepping out to the side (almost like a dance move but not dancing, just to a wider stance to make my legs for an A shape), lifting my legs (knees to chest), and running. When I do those activities/moves it hurts.

Do you know if these exercises on the DVD will help this? If not, do you have any advice as to what I can do? I thought by now it would have resolved but it has not.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I really miss running with my kids!

Thanks in advance,

Ashley

Tasha Mulligan

Ashely,
    You have described your location of pain as the bulbocavernosus muscle. That is a very anterior muscle, so I am visualizing pain on one side of your pubic bone….is that right?

If so, let me know and I would have some suggestions for you. Also describe if your pain radiates anywhere else or if it is really point specific.

Tasha

Ashley

Yes, it is on the left side of my pubic bone. It radiates slightly towards the front but never side to side. The degree in which it radiates depends upon the activity I’ve engaged in. And as silly as it sounds, sometimes if I sit the wrong way or for an extended period of time it will radiate more than if I just move the wrong way walking.

Is that what you mean?

Tasha Mulligan

Ashley,
    Your subjective description sounds like pubic symphysis may be off. you can have an upslip on one side that can cause significant pain and can radiate into the groin. Without being able to evaluate you, this is simply an opinion. In a PT clinic they may bring your knee up to 90 degrees and have you pull in toward your midline against their isometric resistance 3-4 times for approx a 4 second contraction.

At home, as simple muscle activation mob that you can try is: Lay on your back and bend both knees. If you can have someone help you that would be great. They can resist your pushing your knees apart 3x for a 4 count on each contraction. Follow this immediately with them placing both fists between your knees, separating them by the 2 fists. Squeeze your knees together for a 4 count. You can repeat 2-3x. Often you may hear a pop if your pubic symphysis adjusts. Try this and let us know what you feel.

Tasha

Ashley

Thank you for your time and reply! I do hope to resolve this! I\’ll let you know.

Thanks again.

Ashley

One more question… Is this an exercise that needs to be done until the pain goes away? You mentioned a pop so I didn’t know if once it pops it will be better or if it’s something I have to strengthen.

Thanks!

Tasha Mulligan

Ashley,
    This is an exercise that may resolve your pain. You may or may not hear a pop. I believe it is more of a displacement of your pubic symphysis so it will be core stabilization that you need to move on to once your pain is resolved.

tasha

Cheryl Collin

I have bad ride side low pelvic pain for a month now. I’ve been to the ER twice and every time the doctor says a pulled muscle. I’ve had my ovaries checked and nothing bad came up. I’ve been put on high dose IBprohen that seem to only work for 3 to 4 hours and I’ve also been prescribed norco that has been decreaseing in time of relaxation. My pain is a dull ache that’s a all day thing. I’m fine when walking but when I wanna relax the pain sets in. Its been disturbing my sleep. A heating pad seems to help a bit. I sometimes get a sharp pain down the right leg or up the right abdomen area. Past few days the pain has been shifting all over to left side of pelvic area to left side of abdomen area but still in right side of pelvic. I also get lower back pains. What muscle pull could possibly cause this?

Tasha
    Keymaster

Cheryl,
    Night pain is one that needs to be further evaluated. I would schedule an appointment with your doctor.

Tasha

Floor Sugar

I have had sharp intermittent pain on the right side of my urethra for 3 weeks now. Not cystitis, UTI or STI. I do have a heavy toddler son to pick up, is it possible I pulled my bulbocavernous muscle? Gets worse when shifting position or standing a certain way, lifting, etc.

Tasha
    Keymaster

Floor Sugar,
    A hands on eval would be great for you. The therapist may find a leg length, and poor alignment of your pubic symphysis. Our pelvis actually has a right and left side and if these don’t meet with correct alignment. Stretches and adjustments can be made after an evaluation.

Tasha

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.