Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! prolapse and horseback riding

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Amy

Tasha,

Thank you so much for the DVD. It is so helpful mentally to workout along with you, since I don’t have to count and think at the end of a day of caring for 2 kids under 3. I like to horseback ride and wonder if there is any concern with that activity since it opens the hips wide and pressure is on that prolapsed area (grade 2)? Biking is rather uncomfortable as well. Maybe the triathalon shorts you suggested to Stephanie for running would help support me. I haven’t tried a pessary yet, do you have any recommended sites or types?

I have been to PT for biofeedback and done your DVD for the past two months and am feeling much better on a daily basis, though even simple activity like walking with friends causes some laxity. Urinating whenever I start to feel the prolapse dropping down helps too. I rode horses once a week from 4 to 6 months post-pardum before I realized what I was feeling was a prolapse, but I haven’t been riding in over 3 months now mainly because I am afraid of making the prolapse worse. At some point, I hope to have the confidence to get back to the sport I love.

Your blog is very encouraging to come back to when I need some support from others in the same situation.

Tasha Mulligan

Amy,
    I think you will be fine to horseback ride. The wide position of the legs is fine and I like the squeeze of your knees together that would activate your adductors. You will have to begin slowly and re-train yourself to hold until this becomes a natural/automatic muscle activation for you. I am not a formal horseback rider, but I picture you being able to support yourself in the stirrups with a slight adductor squeeze to stabilize. You are also rolled forward onto your sitting tripod, correct? This is ideal positioning and from here you will work to pull your TA in and your pelvic floor up. With this positioning and muscle activation, you will be helping your prolapse, not hurting it! The same goes for biking. You may have to get used to rolling forward onto your pubic bone (sitting tripod), but with consistent practice, it will become easier!

As for triathlon shorts, I like the DeSoto low rise tri short. I don’t know that the brand is as important as the “low rise” part. I like this lower cut because it doesn’t compress my belly, it sits low across my pelvic bones. Loved these shorts during pregnancy and beyond.

Tasha

Shelby Friml

I am an equestrian and was diagnosed with stage three, however found surgery to have far more negative possible results and a low success rate quite frankly. So I’ve been a rider my entire life, and age 66 and quite fit. Now, I’m changing up how I ride, instead of distance riding I am riding local and a slow speeds. However I’m finding that the widening of the hips to straddle the body of the horse, and either sitting the trot (I have a very pillow soft trotting horse so very little concussion) and/or posting the trot (rising in the stirrups a couple of inches) feels like I am bruising the slightly protruding body parts. Not actual pain, but it surely doesn’t feel right. Obviously I’ve not “felt” to see if when in this riding position is it bulging, or pulled up, but it definately feels like I’m sitting on the bulge and that can’t be okay going forward?? Or, it’s been six months, am I simply out of shape? I am a trainer, and also fitter, and build saddles so the saddles I ride in are a very narrow twist, the part between your legs, so there is not a whole lot of spread other than the width of the animal.

Tasha
    Keymaster

Shelby,
    I suspect that this is just sensation. Spreading the legs to straddle a horse and rolling forward on your sit bones with your chest up should draw your inner bits up so I would have a hard time visualizing them protruding.

What may help with this “sensation” is low rise triathalon shorts. These shorts have a light chamois pad that will put a supportive pressure on your perineum. Although these shorts don’t actually hold anything in, they improve the proprioception of your pelvic floor muscles which helps the muscle activation. Give them a try!

Tasha

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.