Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Postpartum prolapse

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lize 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Adele Walker

Hello Tasha..
    I am 41 year mum to 2 children first was born by section due to breech position years ago.. recovery was slow so was determined to have a natural labour second time round. I was previously a full time athlete.. biathlon (cross country skiing and shooting) so am a keen runner, cyclist any form of exercise.. i kept in pretty good shape until pregnant with second baby.. tried to stay active like i did first time round, however suffered much worse with morning sicknesss which lead to 4 months of a mixture of illnesses in a row including bronchitis and sinusitis.. which i know all affected my pelvic floor! I suffered toward the end with SPD also.. i eventually went into labour at 41weeks.. it was a fast intense labour and harvey was born in 3hrs 20 mins.. from active labour to born.. pushing phase was 25 mins. I was disharged the following day struggling to walk or sit as i am sure lots of mums do.. however at 2.5 weeks my midwife was surprised to see i was still struggling to walk or sit!.. i ended up having a little feel below and was horrified to fund something slightly pertruding from my vagina!.. i suspected prolapse.. i went to the doctor straight away however she said i didnt have any signs of prolaps (she only examined me lying down so everyhing must have fell back into place). She said she could feel my cervix where it should have been.. that everything was just still a bit swollen.. as i had no other symptoms ie bladder and bowel control was ok.. releived but not fully convinced i went home.. a few weeks passed and everything was still very uncomfortable.. i spoke to a womens health physio to try and get an appoint which i am Still waiting for as she wouldnt see me till 6 weeks to make sure everything had healed as much as it could before examining me.. she suspected prolapse with my discription.
    I thankfully found your website and was gopeful that i would be able to exercise again and be able to run around with my children! As most other websites are all doom and gloom! I have been doing the basic exercises for 5 days and am feeling a litte more comfortable.. however i something is still pertuding when i stand up.. i know it will take sometime.. i am not sure yet what grade of prolapse i have.. at the moment i am frigtened to walk too far or fast as still feels uncomfortable and worried i might make things worse.. i have tried to sit on watt bike and surprisingly it is quite comfy as my seat was measured correctly so that i am sat on pelvic bones therefore i guess no pressure on any soft tissue.. my question is do you think i can start gradual exercise on the bike.. and would it be safe to swim as i was worried about infection with things pertruding out?. before i have been properly diagnosed and to know what grade of prolaps i have..? I was going into a dark place before i came across your website so i thank you for that! Also with your 4 work outs do i do them all 3 times a week or one or 2 every day of the week? I have not yet progressed to work out 3 and 4 as find it hard to do the pelvic floor lifts standing up still..
    If you can give me any advice i would really apprciate that as i feel at the moment you just seem to be left to struggle and get on with things here in england!
    Hope to hear from you soon.. Adele

#70185 Reply

Tasha
    Keymaster

Adele,
    My best advice is to give you homework. Begin to read through the entire Education section. You are just beginning to learn about your pelvic basket and you have a bit to go. Learn how to get on your stomach and “re-set” your pelvic basket if your prolapse is lower at any point during your day. Learn how to hold your TA and chest breath and more. No need to push the cardio activity until you get a few more weeks of the dvd under your belt. You can do multiple work outs each day if you choose from the dvd, but just limit your 2 step Kegels to 10 per day maximum!

Read, read, read, and you will be set on the right path.

Tasha

#70186 Reply

Tasha
    Keymaster

Adele,
    My best advice is to give you homework. Begin to read through the entire Education section. You are just beginning to learn about your pelvic basket and you have a bit to go. Learn how to get on your stomach and “re-set” your pelvic basket if your prolapse is lower at any point during your day. Learn how to hold your TA and chest breath and more. No need to push the cardio activity until you get a few more weeks of the dvd under your belt. You can do multiple work outs each day if you choose from the dvd, but just limit your 2 step Kegels to 10 per day maximum!

Read, read, read, and you will be set on the right path.

Tasha

#72412 Reply

Adele Walker

Hello Tasha

Thank you for your reply.. i have recently been diagnosed with grade 1 uterine 1-2 rectocele and 2-3 cestocele 🙁
    I have tried numourus pessarys to improve symptoms, make things more comfortable and help things from getting worse as trying to look after 2 children is quite an active job as you know.
    Unfortunitely none of the pessarys tried so far relieves all symptoms without irritation.. the ring bith with and without support woild not stay in place.. the cube (possibly too big) caused irritation on already irritated skin at entrance.. long stem gelhorn.. worked but stem was pertruding which also caused irritation.. have currently got the gelhorn short stem which has helped the cestocele.. however it seems to keep flipping in its side.. but now rectocele seems to be making more of an appearance..
    Do you have any experience with patients with such prolapse problems? Any pessary ideas?
    I am also using an electric stimulation machine… as the physio said my pelvic floor is not working at all 🙁 however it seems to cause pain where i have been stitched up inside.. i am at a bit of a loss at the moment and am struggling to see any light at the end if the tunnel.. i am still continuing with your exercises and can feel some progress as i can now feel something contract and release which i didnt before..
    Anymore advice would be great..
    From a struggling with everyday living mum..
    Adele

#72635 Reply

Lize

Adele,

I’m not sure if I should be posting here… I have the same prolapse grades as you and tried many pessaries and I just wanted to suggest the shaatz pessary (like gellhorn with no stem at all). It has given me my life back.

All the best with your rehab.

#72728 Reply

Adele Walker

Thank you Lize…

That is very helpful.. it has been very frustrating just trying to get relatively comfortable 🙈
    I will certainly look into that now.. can i just ask do you do you still get the heavy feeling when you stand up and walk? I still have that at the moment uncluding stem digging in slightly when it seems tilt sideways.. always to the same side..

Any information is very helpful thank you.. certainly not many people to talk to about it that understand totally.. 😊

Kind Regards

Adele

#72809 Reply

Lize

Hi Adele,

It is so hard feeling alone but there are many women with this! Prolpase health forum is wonderful for support. As time has passed the heavy feeling has subsided. I get heaviness during my period and if I carry tension in my pelvic floor. Once I was able to relax my pelvic floor instead of walking around mildly clenching symptoms improved drastically. With the pessary, most days I am unaware I even have a prolapse. The shaatz stays in by suction and never ever has a problem with moving or flipping. It is the same diameter as the ring I was fitted for so quite supportive. I don’t find it irritating at all and am never aware of it. Happy to help in any way I can. Cheers, Lize.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Postpartum prolapse
Your information: