Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Postpartum Bladder Prolapse – Uneven Kegel Contraction

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Caitlin Gonzales

Hey Tasha,
    I have a few inquiries. I am 27 years old, 15 weeks postpartum and around 8 weeks I started feeling a heavy, dragging feeling. I had a natural home birth with no tears, stitching, or scarring, but I think I did too much too soon (wearing my son and doing housework) and overworked my weak pelvic floor into a bladder prolapse. It was a confirmed diagnosis, Grade 2, at 12 weeks postpartum. I was discouraged until I found your site and have been consistently doing your Hab-it DVD for 3 weeks now (just exercises 1-3 so far).

I have much more control of my TA, but am having trouble consistently getting a good pelvic floor contraction around the perineum (middle part). The problem is that around the urethra and anus (front and back parts) it feels overly tightened to the point of pain sometimes. It even flairs up the hemorrhoids I had in pregnancy sometimes. I have done some of Brianne Grogan’s pelvic release work and that makes the pain subside, but still have a weak overall contraction. My first question is, do you recommend that I continue with the kegels and just balance it with the release work? Or should I stop doing the kegels?

Also, I am still exclusively breastfeeding my son and have read that when I stop, the hormonal change should help with the laxity of my pelvic tendon and therefore the prolapse as well. Is this true? If this does play a part, when I go through menopause one day, will the prolapse potentially worsen again despite PT and posture?

Next, I notice that some days I feel a greater heaviness than others. I try to be as consistent as I can with my posture, but carrying around a near-4 month old who is only getting heavier doesn’t help things I suppose. I get very emotional trying to get my head around all this as I adjust to a new season and have trouble holding on to hope that this can get better with time and PT. How long did it take you to rehab after your first birth? How long until you started to feel more like yourself?
    I have read and heard that subsequent births can have a quicker recovery, which gives me hope because I always wanted more kids. It’s just hard not to be discouraged some days when just holding my son makes my insides feel heavier. 🙁

HS

Hi Tasha,

Hope it’s ok to ask another question. I just got back from the gyn who is convinced I don’t have a prolapse (and, if it’s relevant, apparently I have a retroverted uterus, which isn’t supersurprising given my postural history). I know for sure I have a prolapse (mirror doesn’t lie and neither do persistent sensations), and I’ve read on the internet many women who say their doctors missed it. My question to you is: can I be certain that I only have a stage 1 prolapse if the doctor missed it (in a normal exam with me lying back)? Or is it possible for doctors to also miss stage 2s?

Thanks so much for your help,
    HS

HS

oh goodness. sorry to hijack your thread, Caitlin! mea culpa!

Tasha
    Keymaster

Caitlin,
    Per your description, I would recommend you stop Kegels at this time. Any time the spasms are increased to the point of pain around the tail bone, it is a sign that our muscles are gripping to tight and not letting go. This will actually set your pelvic basket coordinatin back.

Yes, you are correct in that we can see further improvement after cessation of breastfeeding although not a huge dramatic change. I would venture to say the same thing about menopause – I don’f forsee it being dramatic, however I am not there yet so I don’t speak from personal experience. I can, however, note that I have hundreds of post menopause women who start the Hab It program and have dramatic improvement -so menopause itself is not as powerful as good muscle tone, posture, and habits.

And yes, definitely, the first recovery took the longest. I believe this is because most of us have taken our pelvic floor, TA, multifidi, for granted for years before pregnancy. Of course we would – we didn’t have any symptoms and it is the symptoms that tend to drive us to hold neutral spine posture! I think back at my locked knees, pelvis thrust forward posture before my first pregnancy and I think, “If only I knew back then what I know now!” So the first step is to “wake up” our muscles, then we have to prime them to fire efficiently and with endurance. We also have to learn how to chest breath to help draw pressure up into our chest cavity vs down on our pelvic floor. It doesn’t suprise me that your symptoms vary – when we have our little ones, not only are we often carrying them around, but we tend to be fatigued and thinking more about them than ourselves. So don’t beat yourself up too bad right now. Just stay consistent with posture, read through the entire Educate Yourself section, and work through the exercises and you will be on the path to recovery!

Tasha

Tasha
    Keymaster

HS,
    Unless you were examined standing up, the grade you received can be meaningless. To be honest – does their grade change much??? You will rehab to feel normal again – so go by what you feel, not by a label given by a doctor.

Tasha

Caitlin

Tasha,
    Thank you for your response. I’m in a better place mentally with it all and just taking it one day at a time. Stopping the Keegan’s helps me a lot. I think it was over-tightening for me currently.
    Blessings!

Caitlin

*kegels – hah autocorrect…

HS

Thank you Tasha!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.