Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Pelvic Prolapse and Surgery

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Megan L.

So I went and saw my midwife today for my yearly and I am sure that every year he asks when I am going to get surgery. My uterus is at a stage 2 or 3 prolapse (gotten worse than last year) and my rectocele is at a stage 3 (been constant). I have had one experience of incontinence but from what I know my bladder and uretha are intact just have shifted downward a little bit. After having my son (almost 3 years) ago I have noticed I can see my urethra hole. I am wondering if your exercises will help with my particular situation? I really would like to strengthen my uterus muscles. I will not allow any doctor to do a hysterectomy at my age or in the years to come. I am ok with the idea in a couple years of them tightening up my uterus but not taking it.. I am only 24 and really/honestly do not want surgery anytime soon. The idea of it actually scares me a lot. I might consider it in the next couple of years but not right now. My kids are only 5 and 2. I am a stay at home too finishing up school. What are your suggestions? Do the exercises help a lot with uterine and rectal prolapse? I have read how much they help with cystoceles but that is really not my issue.

Thank you for everything!

Tasha
    Keymaster

Megan,
    Yes! There are only positives that you will experience by working through a solid exercise program like Hab It. There is no side effect or down side. You will improve with a focus on strengthening all of the muscles of your pelvic basket including your transversus abdominus, your multifidi, your pelvic floor, your deep hip rotators, and your adductors.

Beyond that, your posture plays such a key role in helping to support your pelvis. You will find great instruction in finding and holding neutral spine posture on the Hab it dvd, AND you will gain a deeper understanding of WHY this is so important if you read through the “Posture” write ups you can find in the navigation bar to the right of this page.

Good luck. Begin reading today to start immediately feeling a difference!

tasha

Megan L.

My uterine prolapse is actually what’s frustrating me the most. Its honestly halfway down my “v” and it makes my body feel pretty irritated. Definitely a stage 2. Will the workouts be able to help bring it back up a little bit? Do you have any advice with a uterine prolapse? I did start the DvD last night and am at least going to do it 3-4 times a week. Any advice be greatly appreciated. This issue at 24 is psychologically messing with me. Also some websites say kegels can make things worse? I don’t know what to think about this. Again thanks for all.

Tasha
    Keymaster

Megan,
    I would anticipate that your uterus will lift, yes, however you may notice your symptoms may increase a bit during ovulation or during menstruation. This is common as hormone changes can make a big difference.

My best advice is for you to read through the Educate Yourself section, be consistent with your posture and TA engagement, AND consistent with your follow through with the exercises. As for Kegels making your prolapse worse – this is simply not true, however, please recognize that your pelvic floor is just on part of your pelvic basket. That is why I only recommend 8-10 two step Kegels per day. Save time for your TA, multifidi, adductors, and deep hip rotators. If you want to double up on anything – let it be these muscles.

tasha

Megan L.

Thank you oh so much for your help! I really don’t want to go through surgery right now and you’re so awesome for answering all of our questions.

I am going in at the end of this month to get a pessary fitted for my trip coming up in which I’ll walk a lot (Disneyland). I also want to have it just for a daily basis. The whole feeling of things falling out is not good for me psychologically. Are the exercises better with a pessary in or out?

To be honest I would like to know your stance on reconstruction surgery to. I have read a lot of negative things and some positive and so I want more knowledge if I decide I am or am not going to do this in the future. Again thank you!
    Megan

Tasha
    Keymaster

Megan,
    Be sure you can take the pessary in and out yourself. This is key because you really only want to use it as needed. As strange as this sounds, the more you feel your prolapse the better your posture will be and the more consistent you will be with your exercises because it is a constant reminder. If you can’t place and remove the pessary yourself I would rather see you use a sea sponge. You can read more about this at http://www.prolapsehealth.com. And definitely take the pessary out while performing the pelvic strengthening exercises.

When it comes to surgery. Those effects are irreversible. You owe yourself years of rehab before you look to that option. Your body will continue to heal and change for years to come with the correct neutral spine posture and follow through with strengthening of each muscle of your pelvic basket.

tasha

Megan L.

Tasha,

I actually ended up buying sponges and cancelled my appointment for a pessary for now. I am scared though of them being rough on my lady bits. I have read a couple of stories and it makes me a bit concerned. I almost feel “raw” down there sometimes after having my son (almost 3 years ago) and so I am scared of that feeling. I did buy some lube and such for those though. I will see how that works. Can you wear them during exercise or do they have to be taken out like a pessary?

My big concern right now is what happened to me 6 months ago. So I tried to start your DVD about 6 months ago. I did workout #1 about 3 times and after 3 times I had this really bad “falling out” feeling that lasted for a week or so and so I never went back to the exercises. This time around I did workout #1 4 times and felt fine and decided to go to the #2 exercise. I did that about twice it’s been 5 days since the last time I did the exercise and I am once again having that “falling out” feeling. What do you suggest? Is this normal? Is it normal to get worse first and then better? Could it be that my uterus (stage 2 or 3) is tightening up and so my rectocele (stage 3) is falling down more and giving me this feeling? This does make me scared to keep exercising. My “lady parts” I have been told are also very, very weak. Not much muscle tension left. The muscles are in tact just not strong whatsoever (as to why I would love to strengthen them). I just wanted to get your advice with this “falling out” feeling. Even if I lay down the feeling isn’t going away. It’s really just messing with me. Sorry to be negative, I just really am freaked out by this feeling and want it to get better.

Thanks so much for all your help,
    Megan

Tasha
    Keymaster

Megan,
    It sounds to me like you may be trying so hard that you are not getting a full relaxation of your muscles. Please read through “Pelvic muscle spasms” in the Educate Yourself navigation bar on this page. There is a write up I did titled “Maximizing Blood Flow” that would be good for you to read. Muscle spasms are truly the only reason why you would have a feel of less support following exercise. If you can follow each workout with a round of the relaxation with diaphragmatic breathing that Brianne Grogan teaches – you may begin to see consistent results.

As for your sea sponge question, I will have to direct you to the ladies on http://www.prolapsehealth.com as they have 1st hand knowledge working with these.

tasha

Megan L.

Do you have to take the sponge out while doing the exercises?

Yes its definitely been spasms. My body does not like to relax apparently. I’ll look over your blog for sure. Thanks for all!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.