Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! pelvic floor exercises after full abdominal hysterectomy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Maggie Melvin

I am 6 weeks post-op after full hysterectomy (abdominal). I am through the menopause and was very fit going into the op. I am recovering well although can be hit with a wall of tiredness out of the blue. My energy levels are, however, way lower than I’m used to. I walk 3-4 miles a day, slowly for me and do my pelvic floor exercises 2-3 times a day. Have you any suggestions for the road back to fitness? I am confused about what I can do safely. apart from the obvious- no heavy lifting. I have heard many stories about compromised recovery through being precocious.
    Oh, and I like swimming in the cold sea- could this in any way harm me?
    Thanks,
    Maggie

Tasha Mulligan

Maggie, walking 3-4 miles/day just 6 weeks post op is aggressive, but if your fitness level is there that is great! However, if you feel any type of pelvic tenderness following your walk, then you are prolonging the healing process with inflammation and you will want to back off the walking.

I want you to visualize your pelvic basket as this collection of muscles that are all co-dependent. This means that if any one muscle of that basket is not firing on all cylinders, then the others will be compromised and ultimately so will your pelvic support. My concerns are that if you go back to aggressive exercise before you have fully activated all the muscles; your TA, your multifidi, your adductors, your deep hip rotators, AND your pelvic floor, then you are at risk for injury/dysfunction. Pay particular attention to your TA, especially with an abdominal surgery. It can take a while to get full muscle fiber recruitment after the trauma of surgery – this is the bodies own protective mechanism and you have to allow time and diligent gentle exercise to guide you back to full muscle recruitment.

My hope is that you are working all these muscles, as is the focus of the Hab It dvd, daily and not just the pelvic floor? You sound like you love exercise – the swimming is a perfect exercise! – so you owe it to yourself to take it slow and recruit all the little muscles first, before going back to the big exercise!

-Tasha

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.