Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Overwhelmed!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie

Hi Tasha I am new to all this. I am postmenopausal with partial hysterectomy and was recently diagnosed with a small rectocele and vaginal wall laxity. Of course does not feel or look small to me because all I see at my vaginal opening is ridged tissue. It is not coming out but it looks like it totally blocks the opening.

I have been seeing PT for months now and it is helping. She confirmed recto with slight anterior movement and hypertonic pelvic floor. I just purchased your CD and trying to take it all in.

My symptoms are I just feel uncomfortable down there all the time. It does not feel like pressure but more of a tightness along the perineum. Is this the rectocele or pelvic floor? I also don’t really feel a bulge I don’t think, but I do not feel normal in the vaginal area. Maybe due to dryness or recto I am not sure. I do know that when I put a moisturizer down there it feels better and in not being uncomfortable? I would think if it is a bulge that the lube would not make it go away correct? I would think if I am prolapsing with a bulge that i would feel it no matter what. So can’t really decide if I have a dryness issue or a prolapsing one. So confused.

I do find that breathing helps but when I do kegels, the pt taught me the way you have them on the DVD, and they don’t seem to help I don’t think. I still feel uncomfortable in the perineum area. Should I keep doing them and will you exercise program help? It is also very hard for me to find neutral spine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and helpful! Thanks.

Stephanie

Forgot to add that the “tightness” I feel in perineum/anal area is there when I bend over and when I walk if feels like someone has their hand on my bum if that makes any sense at all. When I sit I can’t seem to get comfortable and sometimes it feels like I am sitting on something.

Tasha
    Keymaster

Stephanie,
    If you are seeing a physical therapist – ask him/her to help give you feedback in finding neutral spine – you can’t do any better than that one on one teaching! Hopefully you are also working your multifidi, your TA, your inner thighs, and your deep hip rotators as well with your physical therapist.

If the lube helps your symptoms, then dryness is one of them. You may also have a bulge within your vaginal canal that is irritated by the dryness and friction when you walk.

The uncomfortable sitting sounds like hypertone or pelvic floor muscle spasms. You can read through the Pelvic Floor Muscle Spasms topic in the Educate Yourself section for more information on how to increase blood flow. You can also read on Posture here as well.

The more you read and learn, the more you will understand how to help your body!

tasha

Stephanie

Thank you Tasha for replying….

So should I keep doing keels or not? I don’t want to make things worse. And yes I am working all the other things as well. I did read that section but I will re read it again.

Just to clarify, there is really no way to tell if my uncomfortableness is due to a bulge or actual dryness? When I told my gyno this symptom she said that it was more due to dryness, that a bulge is a bulge with or without lube. I took it as meaning that with or without lube I would still feel the bulge. Drs are very confusing.

Thanks Again!

Tasha
    Keymaster

Stephanie,
    If hypertone or pelvic floor muscle spasms are occuring, (which that may be the case), then go ahead and lets try stopping the Kegels – there is no right or wrong here – it is more how your body responds and feels. Try cutting them out and work diligently through all the other exercises on the Hab It dvd -we’ll see how that effects your symptoms. The beauty of exercise – there are no irreversible effects – let’s just see how your body responds and let that guide our next step.

With hypertone, you would want to get on your back periodically throughout your day and especially following your workout to work diaphragmatic breathing along with pelvic rocking to allow your pelvic floor to release, increasing blood flow to those tissue. Then when you are up and about, you want to think of breathing with chest expansion and elevation of those upper ribs – this works hand in hand with the neutral spine positioning of tail bone lifted and chest lifted positioning. Do not think about squeezing your pelvic floor for this – rather focus on the positioning of your body.

Again on the bulge and lube question. If the bulge you feel is dry, it will be far more uncomfortable than a bulge that has natural lubrication. I bet you have both going on – a rectocele bulge and dryness. Go ahead and keep it more moist to allow you to be more comfortable as you work to lift the bulge.

tasha

Stephanie

Tasha

Thank you again for your reply. Everything you said makes perfect sense and am excited in working to lift my bulge. Will this workout also help with the aging wall laxity I was also told I have? Or is this where the kegels help once I can get back to them?

Stephanie

Forgot to ask – I read online that your prolapse, no matter what type, changes hourly and daily…..is this true?

Seems like if it is dropped to vag opening it would stay there no matter what time of day it is. Basically no matter what time of day you look at it the bulge is always there.

Stephanie

Also will walking help strengthen the pelvic floor and help with cystocele?

Tasha
    Keymaster

Yes, the exercises can not only give a lift to your bulge, but they are also designed to help give better support to your anterior vaginal wall.

As for changing of your prolapse – it is effected by your hormone fluctuation, eating, breathing, posture. and exercise. Good habits make a big difference in your symptoms.

Finally. read “Work extension while you walk” in the Cardio choices topic of the educate yourself section. there are great tips in there about what you can focus on with walking to improve the strength of muscles supporting you prolapse.

tasha

Stephanie

After doing the exercises without kegels i feel pressure or tightness can’t figure out which it is around the perineal/anal area and kinda the sides of the vagina. Especially when I bend over or squat. Am I doing them incorrectly if I feel this? Or does this mean they are working the right area and it will get better?

I do feel that they have helped me not need to pee as often. Seems I can hold it longer and instead of every two hours i go every 4 now.

Stephanie

Oh and I also find that during the day I have my TA muscle engaged…seeems like all the time. Is this normal or is that area supposed to be relaxed all the time. Basically am i supposed to walk around with my belly loose?

Tasha
    Keymaster

Stephanie,
    With the improved symptoms, I would say you are in the right track! Continue with your exercises and posture.

As far as your TA…I remember feeling like I was always holding my breath up in my chest as well. Although this is not perfect technique, it can be part of the learning curve as we are teaching our bodies to recruit muscles it has not called upon for some time.

Just remember that posture is positioning verses a tightening of muscles. That being said, you will know if you are not experiencig back aching, then your TA is probably not contracting too hard and you are alright.

Tasha

Stephanie

Hi Tasha,
    Just started my 3rd week and I moved onto second set of exercises. I can not seem to quit rolling when doing the clam. I have practiced and practiced and I just can’t seem to get it. Am I supposed to roll forward and put all my weight on my hand to stabilize and keep in that position while doing them? Also on the leg lift one I can’t seem to coordinate the suck in let out with the right leg movements. I want to suck in when I pull leg back in and vice verso….so frustrated!

Stephanie

Also…I still have the weird feeling in the perineal area is not as bad but is still there. Will this continue to go away as well? I do like being able to sit for longer periods of time without feeling like I am sitting on something. this feeling is due to the hypertonic muscles and not the prolapse correct?

Stephanie

I am happy to say that I think the weird perineal feeling is finally gone. This week I did not notice that I was getting it…yay! An I think prolapse may be lifting a little or it was more a dryness issue that i was feeling. I just know that after starting the moisturizer every 3 days and has it i am getting the half in/half out tampon feeling less.

I am frustrated that I can not seem to get past exercise #2. Don’t know why I am finding it so difficult to do and I am really sore afterwards. Yesterday after I I have ache/pain in sciatic I think. It is still there today….it is on the right side and finding it hard to sit in good posture. I have incorporated Bre’s relaxation of pelvic floor after each exercise session and also do them on days i don’t do has it.

I guess my question is, what am i doing wrong to get sciatic pain? also will i still get results of a prolapse “lift” if I can’t seem to make it past exercise #2…lol. I just must be a weekling. Also would it be ok to just take some exercises from each program that I can “master” and create my own program? If so which ones might you suggest to get the best benefit?

Cant tank you enough for what you are doing! It is so reassuring that this works for many women and I think I can include myself now…and thank you sooooo much for taking the time to allow us to ask question, albeit stupid ones sometimes and actually answering them!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.