Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Moderate rectocele worsened – is there any hope?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ingrid

Hi All,
    Has anyone found that they can improve a moderate rectocele or stop it from getting worse? Anything that anyone has tried? Feeling quite down.
    Spoke to my physio today to discuss that my symptoms (a constant feeling of a bulge or need to go at the back passage) and she seemed to think that my muscles were not responding to kegels and I needed to go back to the Dr to discuss how to manage the symptoms or possible next steps.
    I’ve been (as mother’s do) carrying a 15kg wee one some days. Thought if I carried on my back, it would be less damaging. Then felt a shift downwards that hasn’t really left (except for in a few yoga sessions).
    I do my Kegels 3x a day diligently (standing, sitting, lying on one side) but I have always struggled to feel them fully engage at the back. I’m getting back into hab-it exercises and posture, but wonder if there is anything else I can do to remind the muscles what to do?
    Has anyone used the Kegel8 on the *other* setting?
    Has anyone improved a moderate / stage 3 rectocele (or worse)?
    Just feel so hopeless. Any wise words Tasha?
    Many thanks x

Tory

Hi Ingrid,

I know Tasha will have some great advice for you, but I wanted to share my story with you as well. I was originally diagnosed in December with a grade 3 cystocele and mild rectocele. Shortly after my diagnosis, I started Tasha’s hab-it program. At my most recent appointment (in April), the cystocele was a grade 2 and the rectocele was a grade 3. That didn’t surprise me, since my bladder prolapse symptoms were under control, but my rectal prolapse was starting to bother me more. It seems that as my bladder was lifting, my rectum no longer had my bladder to lean on. Today, I rarely feel any bladder or rectal prolapse symptoms. Things that helped improve my rectocele symptoms were NOT doing kegels, practicing pelvic floor relaxation techniques, and always being aware of holding proper posture. It’s still a work in progress, but I’ve gone from feeling at the depths of despair to feeling confident and in control of my symptoms. You’ll get there too!!!

Ingrid

Hi Tory

Thank you so much for sharing your story and a little hope. I feel close to the depths of despair.

Did you do / use anything other than Tasha’s workouts and posture?
    The physios told me 10 kegel lifts and 10 quick. 3 times a day. When I talked to them about Habit they said it looked good but had to be in addition to the 3 x 10 repa per day. I thought it would be too much as Tasha is clear on keeping to rep limits. For the same reason I stopped using Kegel 8, as again they insisted 3 x 10 reps of each a day.
    My stress incont bladder has gone.
    I feel a pressure and bulge at my rectum. When I do habit, that pressure / sensation goes away for a while. If I use the Kegel 8 pressure remains and my usual Kegels pressure remains.
    I wonder. Should I ditch the old Kegels totally and do Habit everyday, posture and poss Kegel & on bowel setting to fire nerves up??
    Has anyone used sea sponges to lift the issue while hoping muscles get back to shape?
    When I am standing, if I manage to lose the bulge sensation at the back I feel like the bulge is coming in the vagina instead. 😢
    My other issue is possible nerve damage to one side. I kept telling physios and finally got an internal check – 50% weaker strength on one side (same side I experienced burning pain for much of last pregnancy).
    Seeing consultant soon but feel so lost. I want a plan to work on, to improve things to at least try. And an idea of how long to keep at it. Hadn’t expected that acter 4 months of religious kegels (and being told I was doing them correctly) that it cod suddenly all come undone. Carrying crying / sleeping children; I wish I had put up with all the screaming now.
    Thanks for any help you can offer. Such a lonely feeling. Not sure how to explain what is happening to my other half.
    Thanks for being a light in a dark place x

Slow-low

Hi Ingrid, I really relate to you story. I’ve been doing kegels under physio supervision for 4 months now, with nerve damaging weakening one side. My prolapse is steadily getting worse and worse. I’m desperate and terrified that I will ultimately need surgery with all the resulting misery that entails. Regretting all the times I carried my child. Not knowing if kegels have been making my prolapse worse. Desperate to have a new plan of action so I can feel I’m doing something proactive to tackle this problem. I’ve only just found this site and excited to try the postures/exercises. But scared this too will make it worse. And not knowing if I should carry on with the kegels or not. So much insecurity and worry about what us for the best. What is the suggestion about sponges, how does that work?

Tasha
    Keymaster

Ladies,
    I am reading that your symptoms are slightly better after a Hab It workout and worse after Kegels. Please listen too and trust your body! Listen to Tory- as she responded above! She discovered that her pelvic floor was already “on” and she needed to ensure her adductors, TA, mutifidi, and glutes were just as strong. This along with a deep understanding of your neutral spine positioning and how your breathing with chest elevation and expansion can lift pressure up off your pelvic bowl. Do you breathe with rib elevation and expansion? Are you confident in your TA contraction and limiting your RA? If you are, you should feel the pressure lift off your pelvic floor with your TA cinch and pressure blow down on your pelvic floor with your RA lock down.

Often rectoceles can go hand in hand with hypertone of our pelvic floor – in this case, Kegels should be stopped and your focus turned to relaxation techniques such as pelvic rocking with diaphragmatic breathing in supine (you can read more about this in the Educate yourself section). Also, search Rectocele on this Ask Tasha (instructions on first entry on how to search this site).

Change your focus from your pelvic floor to a whole body approach!

tasha

Tasha
    Keymaster

Ladies,
    I am reading that your symptoms are slightly better after a Hab It workout and worse after Kegels. Please listen too and trust your body! Listen to Tory- as she responded above! She discovered that her pelvic floor was already “on” and she needed to ensure her adductors, TA, mutifidi, and glutes were just as strong. This along with a deep understanding of your neutral spine positioning and how your breathing with chest elevation and expansion can lift pressure up off your pelvic bowl. Do you breathe with rib elevation and expansion? Are you confident in your TA contraction and limiting your RA? If you are, you should feel the pressure lift off your pelvic floor with your TA cinch and pressure blow down on your pelvic floor with your RA lock down.

Often rectoceles can go hand in hand with hypertone of our pelvic floor – in this case, Kegels should be stopped and your focus turned to relaxation techniques such as pelvic rocking with diaphragmatic breathing in supine (you can read more about this in the Educate yourself section). Also, search Rectocele on this Ask Tasha (instructions on first entry on how to search this site).

Change your focus from your pelvic floor to a whole body approach!

tasha

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.