Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Kegel strength

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 years ago by Tasha Mulligan.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rina

Thanks for being so helpful. I am up to doing standing kegels, but I am worried that I am not doing as strong a kegel as I should. How do I know? Yes, I am pulling up and pulling in my TA muscles and holding for the count of 8, but I feel like it is weak. Thanks again, Rina

Tasha Mulligan

Rina,
    A standing Kegel is the hardest one to master because you are working against gravity. Again, I recommend getting in front of a mirror in your sports bra. Tighten your pelvic floor and then draw your belly button up and in. Take a look in the mirror and be sure your tail bone is still elevated and that you can still breath in and out throughout this contraction.

Your Kegel strength comes from a co-contraction of your pelvic floor, TA, and multifidi all being “on”. Your multifidi has to hold that tail bone in an extended position as your TA pulls on your lumbar spine to cinch up your midsection. This is strength!

If your midsection cinching up is produced from a big breath held up in your chest, it will be weak. Go step by step through your posture and your Kegel and with practice, you will find strength.

Tasha

Rina

Thanks. Will do. Actually managed to do one this morning which felt really strong. That was encouraging. I have been reading the archived blogs which also helps. Today I went for the first long brisk walk since this problem started and nothing dropped! I followed your idea and did not put in a double tampon (was using that instead of a pessary), so I know I really have made progress. I can feel that my return to running will get there too.

Tasha Mulligan

Great Rina. Sounds like you are on the right path. Did you “Work Extension While you Walk”? This is one of my favorite blogs with great tips.

Tasha

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.