Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! internal movement during yoga inversions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    julia

Hi Tasha,

I have a question that may or may not actually be prolapse-related. I have ordered your DVD and I’m hoping it might help with this problem anyway. I gave birth to my first baby about 5 months ago at age 29. I had a great med-free birth, pushed about ten times and delivered a 7 lb 4 oz little girl. I was very healthy and active during my pregnancy (walking, prenatal yoga) and felt great very shortly after my delivery. About seven weeks postpartum, I started back to a postnatal yoga class. Most of the poses felt great but that’s when I first noticed my problem.

When doing poses that involve inversion, I can feel a suction being created in my pelvis and then something (my uterus or other organs?) fall deeper into my abdomen. It’s not painful, but a noticeable sensation. When I turn right-side up, the air that entered my pelvis is forced out, creating a very loud and embarrassing noise. I have given up on group classes until I can find a way to resolve this issue since I would be mortified to have it happen in front of other people.

Is this something that might get better over time and with strengthening of the pelvic floor and abdomen? I saw my doctor today and she said I don’t appear to have any prolapse. I thought you might have run across this problem in your work and I’d appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!

Tasha Mulligan

Julia,
    The simplest answer I can give you is that through pregnancy, we create more space within our pelvis and abdomen. After delivery this space is no longer filled and can take in and trap air. It will get better with time as your body settles.

As to your question about whether you should strengthen your pelvic floor and transversus abdominus. The answer is a resounding YES. It may not help with the trapping of air, but I recommend every new mother understand that they need to help their body recover by working their traumatized pelvic basket back into shape.

-Tasha

emily

i also avoid yoga since having babies for the same reason. I relate it to being in any posture that puts my bladder in its normal, more anterior position – and then it “sloshes” back into it’s prolapsed position when I return. I don’t have any advice, just letting you know I can relate!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.