Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Hamstring Stretches

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brenda

Dear Tasha,

I’ve found that my prolapse symptoms are directly related to whether or not I stretch my hamstrings on a regular basis. From a mechanical standpoint, this makes sense to me, i.e. how can we be in proper posture/alignment if our hamstrings are tight? And aren’t they super tight for all of us who have been tucking & sitting & wearing heels all of our lives?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you so much for your help!

Tasha
    Keymaster

Brenda,
    Awesome observation. You are right on and have demonstrated the body awareness I would like for all women to achieve. This fits very nicely into my posture entries within the Educate Yourself box to the right of this page. Posture is never easy and is never in a locked position. If we always give in to the “easy” locked position of our joints (knees/pelvis) then we may assume that buns tucked under/knees locked back posture which puts our pelvic floor in an “over-shortened position”. On the flip side, many women have tight hip flexors and they assume the posture of extreme lumbar lordosis, relying on the locked position of their lumbar vertebrae and hyper extended sacrum. This is the exact opposite posture that “over- lengthens” our pelvic floor muscles, rendering them useless as well – but stretching hamstrings would be no help to women with this posture, rather, they need to stretch their hip flexors.

So now I have described two opposite posture traps that can wreak havoc on our pelvic floors. We can’t draw one picture of women and say this is the problem – it is not tight hamstrings for everyone – that’s why it is so important for women to develop a body awareness to assess their OWN body and begin to identify where they are tight and where they are flexible, inconsistencies from right side to left side, and weakness versus strength. It is this assessment that can be performed by a physical therapist but is best to be performed by yourself!!!

Awesome thoughts Brenda!
    -Tasha

Brenda

Dear Tasha,

Thank you so much for getting back to me & answering my question so thoroughly.

I would love for the “Ask Tasha” section to have a search button as I always hope I’m not asking you something that you’ve probably already answered (several times!).

Brenda

Tasha
    Keymaster

I’ll see what we can do on that!

tasha

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.