Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Grade 3? Lots of questions

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Christine

Hi Tasha. Thank you so much for your website. It is a great encouragement to me. I have 4 children. I was told I had a prolapse 6 weeks after my 2nd child was born. But it did not bother me and I didn’t notice it until halfway thru my pregnancy with my 3rd child. I had an emergency c section with my 4th. My prolapse felt great after my c section and I didn’t start to notice it until my youngest was about 1. She is 2, now. It continues to get worse. I would say it is a grade 3. During ovulation it is outside the vaginal opening without straining. Just standing. I have so many questions, but I understand if you don’t have time for them all.
    1. I do notice relief and that it moves up after I am done doing your exercises, but it only last for several hours and then it moves back down again…I have only been doing the DVD consistently for the last 3 days. Before I just did it off and on. Will that improve to the place that it stays up, without falling down all the time?
    2. How long should I stay on workout 1 before I move to workout 2?
    3. Is it impossible to have more children, with a prolapse as bad as mine? My OB only talks about surgery when I KNOW I am done having children. But we did want more. But now I am afraid my prolapse is to bad.
    4. Also, what is okay to do? Can I lift and carry my 2 year old. Or do you just stop lifting heavy things when you have a prolapse? Thank you so much for your time!!

Christine

And one more note. During my last pregnancy my midwife said I had a bladder prolapse, rectal prolapse, as well as my uterus and cervix. Is there hope for me?

Tasha
    Keymaster

Christine,
    Your description of your prolapse moving up following the exercises is great. When you have a uterine prolapse protruding outside your vaginal opening without straining – it may be a good choice for you to use some help such as sea sponge to help hold your cervix up. There is a site called http://www.prolapsehealth.com that was started by a mom with the same prolapses as you. She also had relief with exercise and posture, but used the sea sponges to allow her to go for walks. That may be a great reference site for you!

You can move on to Workout 2, and then alternate workouts 1 and 2 throughout your week.

You can go on to have more children. Often early pregnancy is when you will be most symptomatic because of your increased blood volume, etc., but as soon as your uterus is big enough, it should sit over the top of your pubic bone and relieve most all of your prolapse symptoms.

As far as lifting, you will have to observe your symtpoms. Because you describe your cervix outside your vaginal opening at times without straining – this would be the wrong time to lift your toddler. However, those times when it is lifted, go ahead, and those times when you have added support (sea sponge) go ahead, with good lifting and breathing technique.

tasha

Christine

Just a clarification I always thought that it was just my bladder prolapsing at the vaginal opening. I was only told of the uterine and cervical prolapse during mid pregnancy. Is it possible those 2 prolapse were only because of pregnancy? How can I tell what is prolapsing ?

Christine

And when I say outside the vaginal opening, i meant to say it is bulging at the opening. But nothing actually protrudes outside, just a bulge.

Christine

Again thank you so much for your time. The last few weeks I have been so depressed about my prolapse, and I have been devouring your website, and I found so much hope in everything I read. Now tonight after reading your reply to me, I am falling apart. I was living on a drive and a focus to heal my prolapse thru everything you teach, I have been diligently doing the exercises and posture, but now I am afraid you are telling me that my prolapse is to bad to heal and rehab the way you tell everyone they can do. Am I misunderstanding you? Are you saying because I have a uterine and cervical prolapse (which I am not sure if I currently do, or if that was because of pregnancy) that I can not re-hab the way other women can with just a bladder prolapse or rectocele? I know you say that you had a grade 3 and got it back to a grade 1. I was dreaming of working towards that goal for myself. Online I’ve read that a grade 3 is if the prolapse is outside the vaginal opening by 1 cm. I would say that mine sits right at the opening and there is probably a 1 cm bulge on the outside of the opening. I am pretty sure it is my bladder. It has never come out further then that. And that would be standing without straining. Some times of the month, it goes back in and is not outside the opening at all. If you have any encouraging words for me, please share. I feel like it takes the joy out of life sometimes. I will look in to the other website you shared. Thank you .

Tasha
    Keymaster

Oh Christine, I am so sorry – the last thing I want to do is steal hope! Here in lies the challenge of being the physical therapist behind the computer screen – I can only go by your subjective description to me…and a uterine prolapse with the cervix hanging outside your vaginal opening is very different than a bladder prolapse. I don’t like to give false hope and a uterine prolapse outside your vaginal opening needs some supportive help from a sea sponge.

Your new description of the anterior wall/bladder bulge outside your vaginal opening doesn’t phase me at all – you are right – that is what I recovered from and have returned to all recreational activity!

So keep reading – that is step one. Step 2 – incorporate all posture work during daytime hours, both sitting and standing, and step 3, get to work with consistent exerccise from the Hab It dvd. You can work mutltiple workouts/day if you choose – just skip the second round of Kegels.

Tasha

Christine

Thank you for replying. I know that wasn’t your intention, but I’m so low about it all, and I just want someone to tell me it will all be okay. But I know you can’t give false hope. I’m going to schedule an appt. with my OB to find out what it really is that I feel prolapsing. I don’t know if it is my bladder or cervix or uterus. Do you have any thoughts on the sea sponge versus a pessary? If it is indeed my uterus and cervix prolapsing, do you have any encouraging words for me? Do you know of others with this kind of prolapse? Can I have more children? Can I lead a “normal” life? Should I continue with your DVD if it is a uterine prolapse or is the DVD a waste of time? Thanks for all your help!

Tasha
    Keymaster

No exercise you do is a waste of time – that I do know! So go for it! Just remember there are several pieces of the puzzle to your rehab. I have copied from an answer I just gave to another young lady:

At a minimum, the exercises have to be performed 3x/week to see any results. You can, however, work through the exercises daily if you choice. You may also work through more than one workout/day if you have the desire and time – in this case be sure to only work through the Kegels on the 1st workout you do, not on subsequent workouts.

It is also imperative that you be mindful of your neutral spine posture in sitting and standing throughout your day – there is a ton of info on that in the Educate Yourself section and on our PT Partners YouTube channel so be sure to review.

One other piece of the puzzle is to be sure you are breathing with chest elevation and expansion and not belly breathing throughout your day when you are up and about – this allows your TA to remain engaged and the pressure to create a vaccuum as your upper ribs elevate and expand, drawing air into your lungs – totally lifting all pressure up off of your pelvis and its contents. Save the diaphragmatic breathing for the times when you are able to lay down and relax.

And for you Christine – if it is a uterine prolapse, and it is your cervix protruding outside your vaginal opening – I will always recommend a sea sponge over a pessary because the sponge give support with little cross fiber pressure on the fibers of the vagainl canal. The pessary can give a very significant cross fiber pressure that can cause shut down of those contractile fibers.

Christine

Thanks again! I really appreciate your valuable time. I do have an appt. with my OB on June 5. I’ll be anxious to see what he says. I will gladly continue with exercises, posture and breathing. I just thought you were saying that with a uterine or cervix prolapse the DVD would not help at all. I was curious if you know of other ladies that have lived with this type of prolapse, how they manage and if it’s possible or a good idea to have more children?

Tasha
    Keymaster

Yes,
    In my first response I listed http://www.prolapsehealth.com. The moderator has used the Hab It program and sea sponges with good success.

Tasha

Sue Bowland

Hi Tasha. This is my first posting and first time ordering your DVD download. I have a Grade 3-4 uterine prolapse. I’m on my feet most of the day and it pretty much stays in the vaginal opening or slightly out. I was happy to find the “It’s You Babe – V2 Supporter” so I could actually not feel like everything was going to fall completely out. Then, I found your website and learned that there’s a lot more to do than Kegels. I just ordered the download and have to get my rubber band to start the exercises. When I do Kegels, my prolapse seems to stay higher for a longer period of time in the morning. It does come down during the day though….but the other muscles aren’t strong yet. I have a long way to go. I hadn’t known about the sea sponge. I’m going there next to find out more. At least now, I have more hope of improving my condition. Before, I sat most of the time because my prolapse was always out…to an extent. I’ll be glad when I can sit down at the end of the day and not have to move around in my seat to get my prolapse pushed back up inside.

Thanks so much.
    Sue

Tasha
    Keymaster

Sue,
    You seem to have a great frame of mind. Glad you found us and are ready to apply all the good posture habits (Read through Educate Yourself) and exercises that can make a difference. One of my entries is “Still Seeing Progress Years Later”, so please know this is a long term rehab and setting of the right habits and you may continue to improve more and more over time. We’ll get your entire basket assisting your pelvic floor and see where your symptoms lead us!

Tasha

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.