Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Exercise and pool

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sophia

Hi Tasha,

i am planning to have a class in the pool, my question is, any exercise that I must avoid in a regular class at the gym , high impact class, should I avoid it while I am in the pool?

i looked at the aqua fitness class, I saw few exercises that involves kind of jumping, , so should I modified them and make them  like low impact, one movement at a time, not bouncing a lot?

thank you in advance.

Tasha
    Keymaster

Sophia,

You are fine in the pool as long as you are in the water up to your waist.  This will take so much of the impact away that I am not concerned with the straight up and down force of jumping.  If you feel uncomfortable doing these moves, just be sure to land, absorbing the force with a shallow squat and you should feel strong.

The moves I caution against in the water are alot of the flexion moves where you are pulling your knees toward your chest because this recruits your Rectus Abdominus which we want to remain quiet.  I would rather see you work an extra hip extension move in place of any flexion exercise they work.  Also, take care not to breath hold.  It is pretty common in the water to perform a slight breath hold as you change directions with any move and pull against the force of the water.  Be sure your breath is steady.

Tasha

Sophia

Ok, today I was in the class at the pool, water level under chest, and yes lots of flexion exercise, raise theknees , or lift the legs…I was the youngest at the class, and the one who dint do too much jumping, they kick t the front I did to the back…so it was like I was doing a totally different class…..SO, here are my questions.

Water under the chest or waist level, is better? Or doesn’t matter regarding a prolapse?

What is the impact in the prolapse doing flexion moves in the water?

i remember reading that you are not big fan of elliptical because all the flex ion moves, and recommended doing some extension moves afterward. What coul be a extension moves, the ” bridge”on your DVD?

So, I am not. Sure being part of the class Or do alone some moves in the water…

Besides walking what moves could you recommend?

I really appreciate all the Info you provide, and your time.

Tasha
    Keymaster

Sophia,
    I would say water at or just below chest level is best so that you get good upper body resistance. Also, the concern with flexion moves in the water is the recruitment of your rectus abdominus. This is the muscle that pulls your ribs closer to your pelvis and compresses your intra-abdominal cavity forcing pressure down on your pelvic floor. Your focus should be on core stability in neutral spine which comes from a co-contraction of multifidi and transversus abdominus (as well as pelvic floor).

As for recommended extension moves. They are anything that brings you to neutral spine or takes your hips back behind your body. The bridging from the dvd is good, as well as hip extensions on hands and knees. When you feel ready, you can purchase the 7 Day Advanced program that is filled with TA and extension exercises that you can do in and out of the water.

The decision to be in the class is yours. I am not a class participant myself, but many women like/need to be held accountable to a class for a set work out time and like the energy of group work outs. Your choice.

As for recommended moves – I need to refer you to the Advanced program. I have 6-7 recommended moves through a 7 day schedule – lots to choose from 🙂

Tasha

Tasha
    Keymaster

I should say that backward walking in the water is a great choice, as well as any swim stroke and kickboard.

Tasha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.