Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Engage pelvic floor question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tasha 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Elle Pea

Tasha thank you so much for everything you do, all of the information you provide, and all of the guidance you support us with. I have been doing the habit video for 12 weeks. Today I realized I might be missing a key point. Here’s my question: when you say activate or engage or lift the pelvic floor does that mean we should be doing a kegel?

#51089 Reply

Elle Pea

Hi again Tasha. I wanted to give you a bit more background information. My gynecologist diagnosed me with a mild cystocele 12 weeks ago. My symptoms were heaviness and the bulge. She told me to continue Hab.it ( I had started about 2 weeks earlier) and put me on Estrace (estrogen cream). I am 64, 125 lbs and my daily exercise prior to the diagnosis was Tai Chi, Qi Gong and a 1-2 mile walk. On weekends I’d do gentle yoga. I am (well, let’s say “was” as I am seeing improvement!) apple shaped with bad posture, weak abdominals and large breasts. I did Hab.It 3x a week for 6 weeks and really felt improvement. I was doing workouts 1-3. Then I had a setback after 2 days of spring gardening. The bulge became more pronounced. Meanwhile I had stopped the Estrace after 2 weeks because of the side effects of cramping. I then decided to do Hab-It daily, read, read, read on your website and try and focus on my posture more. I definitely was improving. Going hours and hours with no feeling of bulge. I kept thinking it was time for me to post an encouragement post on the website! Then 2 weeks ago we took a 4 hour driving trip (each way) and I did a lot more walking (probably 4 miles the 1st day) and my diet was different fewer vegetables more bread. The bulge started to reappear much more throughout the day. Since then I haven’t been able to get back to where I was. I am trying to isolate what has worked for me and what might not be working. Things that have really helped me are first and foremost of course your dvd. I love love love workout 3. In workouts 1&2 I sometimes feel the bulge more when I am on my hands and knees. I am trying to move on to workout 4 but yesterday when I did the plank I felt the bulge reappear. I had my husband check my position to make sure I was doing it right. That was what prompted me to think that perhaps I should be doing a slight kegel when I am in the plank, and for that matter whenever we’re supposed to engage, lift, or activate the pelvic floor. I think my weak link is my TA and I understand I really need to move on to the advanced dvd so I can strengthen more, but am concerned I need more work on my TAs first. (Also I have a shoulder issue) Other things that have helped me are lying down for 5 minute breaks on my stomach, the Desoto shorts, Brianne’s relaxation exercises, Vidymala Burch’s 3 diaphragm meditation, Louise Hay’s positive affirmations, I am now trying a new topical cream Julva, and am seeing if a gluten free diet helps. I am determined to keep healing!

#51917 Reply

Tasha
    Keymaster

Elle,
    It sounds like, as you said, your TA is your weak link. The fact that you occasionally feel an increased bulge following the hands and knees exercises in workouts 1 and 2 as well as with the planks in Workout 4. Be sure to read through the TA vs RA entries in the Educate Yourself section again. You should actively feel the pressure lift off of your pelvic floor when you engage your TA. You should also feel your Pelvic Floor engage (yes like a Kegel elevation) when you engage your TA. If you don’t feel this happen naturally, then you need to voluntarily make it happen by adding in that pelvic floor elevation with your TA lift. Another exercise to check this co-contraction is the seated adductor squeeze. On this exercise, you should feel your TA and pelvic floor lift when you squeeze the ball between your knees.

You may also want to look into Hypopressive breathing. Just watch some YouTube videos on it to gain an understanding of what the TA can do!

tasha

#52064 Reply

Elle Pea

Tasha thank-you so much for your really helpful response. After rereading TA vs RA I realized that I often am using my RA and NOT TA because I am failing to lift when I pull my belly button in. Wow. What a difference it makes.
    On to reading about hypopressive breathing. Thanks again!

#52269 Reply

Tasha
    Keymaster

Yes Elle! Love the deeper understanding – way to take control!

Tasha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Engage pelvic floor question
Your information: