Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! desperate to feel normal again

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tasha 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Shae

I am thankful to find your site and I just started your dvd 1 week ago.  I had my 3rd baby at the end of November and noticed something visually 2 weeks post partum.  I saw my doctor immediately and was diagnosed with a level 1 cystocele.  I went back with a million questions at 4 weeks pp and then by my 6 week check up I was feeling much less symptoms (something between my legs).  From 6 weeks I started exercising jogging, walking and doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.  I was feeling great and my symptoms of prolapse or weakness were gone, I felt like me completely.  at 10 weeks post partum, I decided to get an extra workout in at the end of the day by shoveling my driveway (something I enjoyed doing as a teenager)  It was pretty heavy wet snow and I was exhausted 10 minutes in but continued until finished (over an hour).  I was tired just after and thought everything was great, but the next morning I woke up feeling like I had delivered a baby (horrible ache and heaviness at pelvic floor.)

I’ve been feeling off ever since.  I need advice.  I’ve been seeing a chiropractor because I have a leg length difference of 3/4″  I also have scoliosis  ( described as an s curve)  I went to PT for a diagnosis of cystocele and pelvic floor dysfunction (after shoveling my muscles began tensing and I couldn’t relax them) Last week was my last PT apt. and I was in tears because I still don’t feel normal.  She worked on strengthening my WEAK core and correcting my HORRIBLE posture.  She also gave me kegel exercises to do 5x/day.   At the beginning of PT she asked me to stop seeing the Chiropractor to see if what she was doing was helping (correcting leg length difference).

I went back to the chiropractor this week and my leg length difference was back pretty bad.  I went back to him because I was in pretty good pain through my lower back and hip.  I feel “something” between my legs but not a balloon like most describe.  The PT said she didn’t even notice my cystocele until she searched for it.  She said it is very slight.

I want to know why I feel SO weak in my pelvic floor and why it seems heavy and exhausted by the end of the day.  I need direction so much.  The PT program here at our local hospital is only 1 year old and I felt like I was placed in a box.  I have no symptoms of incontinence, just of WEAKNESS and something rubbing when I walk.  My hips also hurt from the length difference.  Is the hip rotation/ leg difference causing my weak floor?

I am really losing hope and feeling desperate for a normal life again.  This consumes me.  I want to simply focus on my three sweet children, not on feeling better.  I would so appreciate any help.  Thank you in advance.

Shae

#3048 Reply

Tasha
    Keymaster

Shae,

I really feel for you.  Your body is not feeling normal and you are working between two different trusted professionals with different approaches…and now I will be a third.  The only way you will know what will help your body will be to try just one approach for 4-6 weeks and feel for yourself how your body responds.

It is my opinion that your leg length has a significant impact on the coordinated pull of your pelvic basket of muscles.  I also have a 3/4 in leg length discrepancy that I correct with a heel lift.  (Like your therapist did, I worked muscle energy techniques for 2 years to correct my leg length, but my SI joint kept slipping back.  A heel lift may be the next avenue you try.  You can Google “Adjust-A-Lift” and find many outlets for these heel lifts.  Once the base of your spine is level, consistently, you can begin  to work your strengthening effectively.

In the end, Shae, I haven’t had an opportunity to evaluate you as your PT and your chiro have.  In this forum, I can simply give my opinion and it is your decision what direction you go.  My only recommendatin is that you pick a path and stay with it consistently to see how your body responds.

Tasha

#3056 Reply

Shae

Thank you for your response Tasha,   I wish you knew how consistent I have been with EVERYTHING the PT told me to do.  My personality is one to do everything exactly as I’m told.  I’m so discouraged because I did follow the PT and saw her for 9 weeks and now she is done seeing me and I feel like I have no one to direct me now.   She seemed more concerned with talking to me about my bowel movements and intimacy, than about how to get feeling normal again.

I’ve done my core strengthening exercises 6 days/week.  I also have done the kegel exercises 5x/day without missing any.  I consistently do a pelvic brace while getting up from a seated position, picking the baby up etc.  At this point my husband thinks I’m over working my pelvic floor because I’m EXHAUSTED (in my pelvic region) by evening.  He has encouraged me to simply do your hab-it dvd 3x/week.  What’s your opinion on this?   Do you think that your dvd should be done more through the week because of my hip difference, or should I simply correct that before I am able to build muscle strength.  Should I add continue to do core strengthening exercises along with your dvd?   I should mention I’m also nursing and I plan to until my baby is 12-18 months, he is 6 months now.  Will this hinder my hip correction and pelvic floor strengthening?

I understand you can’t give me exact direction, but so far everyone I talk to seems to not understand what I’m feeling- symptoms and all.  Did it feel awkward for you when you walked because of your leg length difference? –Specifically in your pelvic floor?   I’m 26 years old and I’m fearful that this is how my body will feel for the rest of my life.  I am and WILL do anything consistently to overcome this injury.  I don’t understand why it’s already been 16+ weeks and I have been doing everything I’ve been told to and I still feel off.

Thanks again for responding I feel so blessed to know you’re so encouraging about pelvic floor problems.  I appreciate anything you can advise.

#3183 Reply

Tasha
    Keymaster

Shae,

If you feel as though you have given both your chiro and your PT a fair shake, then maybe it is my turn.  Stop everything and lets work through this together.  I would like to see you get a heel lift and place it under your shoe insert. If you are able to get the “Adjust a Lift”, you can build your lift one level at a time which will help you get used to it.  As for the Hab It program – you can begin immediately.  I want you to stop all the Kegels you were doing before and now just work the 2 step kegel I teach at the beginning and end of each workout.  You can work through a Hab It workout every day if you like, you can even work through more than one work out per day, but always keep your 2 step Kegel repetitions to just 8-10 per day.  Your husband sounds right on when he says you are over-fatiguing your pelvic floor.  Remember, the other muscles of your pelvic basket are just as important as you pelvic floor and they are all bigger muscles so they can handle more work.  You will find an exercise for your TA, multifidi, your hip external rotators, and your adductors in each of the workouts on your dvd, so go for it!

The final piece of the puzzle is postural awareness.  Read through my blogs on posture, watch the video several times, and you will be on the right path.

Tasha

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: desperate to feel normal again
Your information: