Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Cystocele/rectocele discomfort

This topic contains 25 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chloe 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Amanda

Hi Tasha,
    Thank you so much for your website and DVD. I have one child, a 16 month old little boy, and shortly after his birth I noticed an unusual “bulge.” My midwife said it was no big deal, I was just stretched from having a difficult delivery, and not to worry. I went about my life as normal (I ride horses professionally ) and am very active, and about two months ago I noticed I was starting to experience discomfort. Whenever I was active, lifting my son, walking, etc I would feel tons of pressure and heaviness in my pelvic area. I saw an OB and she said I had a cystocele (it sits at my vaginal opening and protrudes through when I’m tired or have worked all day with the horses). She also said I likely have a mild rectocele, as I have been struggling with some bowel issues recently, and feel frequent pressure in my perineum.

After hearing this I became extremely depressed, feeling like my body is ruined and that I will no longer be able to enjoy my little boy and my active life with the horses. When I am working now I can’t stop focusing on my pressure and heaviness, and I’ve cut back on riding for fear I’m worsening my prolapses. I found your website and ordered Hab-it, and have been doing it for 3 weeks now, 5 days a week. The biggest thing I’ve noticed as I have become more aware of my posture is that I have a tendency to constantly want to tuck my butt and engage my RA. I have had to remind myself frequently not to do this, and to find my neutral spine and my TA. I am hoping with practice this will help my symptoms.

I want another baby, and I do NOT want surgery, but I feel miserable in my own body right now. I think my rectocele bothers me more than my cystocele in terms of discomfort, but do you think that with continued dedication to the Hab-it program and my posture I can find my “normal”again? All of my joy comes from playing with my baby, riding, and working with the horses/teaching people to ride. I need to feel like “me” again without the constant fear of doing more damage.

Thanks Tasha,
    Sincerely,
    Amanda

#10269 Reply

Tasha
    Keymaster

Amanda,
    You will get there! Everything you are telling me is right on. You have obviously been reading and that is fantastic!!! Your awareness of lifting your tail bone and engaging your TA is huge since you are on your feet and working all day long. With your activity level and need for advanced strength, I highly recommend the 7 Day Advanced stabilization program after you have worked the Hab It dvd for 4 solid weeks to “set your base”.

Did you also read about those little things like the tri shorts that are great for increased proprioception of your pelvic floor. As well as the importance of avoiding those short little breath holds we all have a tendency to do when getting out of a car, bending over to pick something up, etc.

My final suggestion is for you to read on http://www.prolapsehealth.com. Women on that site have some great suggestions as to what has worked for them. I would recommend you look under rectocele because dietary changes can make a big difference in symptom relief and women have shared lots of stories there!

tasha

#10273 Reply

Amanda

Thank you so very much Tasha. You are truly an inspiration to woman struggling with prolapse. I will definitely move on to the Advanced Program in a few weeks to further my strengthening like you suggested . Right now I still find that I get a bit sore after I do workout 3 or 4, so I will wait until I feel strong enough to proceed.

In terms of riding horses, when I am riding I am sitting on my tri-pod and squeezing slightly with my knees/thighs, so this is ok for my prolapse, right? A lot of the exercises in the Hab-it seem as though they will help the muscles I use to ride. I also have to engage my core a lot while on a horse, so I need to remember to keep my TA pulled up and in. I do have to lift saddles, etc, so I have been trying to remember to pull my pelvic basket up as I do this, and to breathe! When I am teaching lessons and walking a lot I’ve been focusing on posture as much as I can. In doing all of this and continuing Hab-it, do you think I can continue improving my symptoms while staying so active? I hope to minimize my bulge to where I barely notice it, but it’s discouraging when it’s practically hanging out of me some nights.

I will certainly try the tri-shorts you recommended, as well as checking out the prolapse health website. One last question: how did you manage carrying/lifting your children when they were young? I want to be able to hold my son without worrying about worsening my prolapse.

Thanks again for all of your help!
    Amanda

#10287 Reply

Tasha
    Keymaster

Amanda,
    I carried my kids a lot, but I also found time to get on my stomach throughout the day. Getting down and doing some multifidi lifts always helped me feel as though I was re=setting my pelvic basket and contents 🙂 A hands and knees position with an exaggerated multifidi lift also works great. I encourage you to carry your son. Although it may cause a temporary increase in symptoms at times, this will not effect you long term. When he gets big enough, give piggy back rides are the way to go vs. carrying him up front.

Your job is a different story. We have to figure out how to minimize your symptoms with the activities you have to do repetitively, every day! Pin point those activities that are hardest on you and we can talk through them. For me, when I am coaching, projecting my voice can cause me to brace and force pressure down on my pelvic floor. Do you notice this with your teaching? If so, it may be worth while to purchase something that will help project your voice.

Finally, listen to your body. There may be days during your cycle where you feel less support. These are the days where you may not want to ride – give your body the break it needs 🙂

Keep up the good work.

Tasha

#10313 Reply

Amanda

Thanks so much for your response! Yes, like you mentioned, I have to project my voice a lot while teaching. This does cause me to feel my prolapses more. I’ve been trying to sit more while teaching lately, and when I focus on sitting on my tripod I do feel less pressure.

I also do a lot of walking (leading children around on horses) and I find my symptoms vary with this. Sometimes I actually feel quite good when I’m walking a lot (probably when my posture is good) and other times I feel heavy/bulgy. I do found that I frequently get pressure and soreness in my vagina.

The main activities that I have to do on a regular basis (aside from taking care of my little guy and doing house work) are:
    – grooming horses: I’ve been trying to focus on breathing when I bend to brush their legs, etc
    -carrying saddles/buckets (I have been working to keep my lifting under 25 pounds)
    -the teaching (which I mentioned above)
    -riding (I have cut back and am focusing on setting my base with Hab-it and then the Advanced program before I increase this activity). Riding takes A LOT of core strength, and right now I’m unsure how to do this without causing more weakness to my pelvic floor.

I really, really hope to be able to stay as active as I currently am, but minimize my symptoms. Finding you, your website and your DVD is the first time I’ve felt hopeful that maybe this can happen, as my doctor has just told me I could have surgery once I’m done having kids. I do not want that!

Thanks so much,
    Amanda

#10326 Reply

Amanda

Hi again Tasha, the last few days have been really rough, and I’m not totally sure why. I saw my OB because my discomfort has been really significant and she told me that my rectocele is likely the cause. When I look at my “bulges” the rectocele is definitely bigger than it used to be-now it sits right at the opening just behind my cystocele. Lately I constantly feel soreness in that area, along with constantly feeling pressure/fullness in my rectum. I am eating well and staying “regular” but this feeling is making me crazy. I convinced my OB to refer me to PT and I started this week. She gave me an exercise to do where I lay on my back, breathe in, and as I breathe out into a balloon I have to practice drawing my pelvic basket up and in. I have been doing this nightly, along with Hab-it, but I feel so heavy and weak lately-like everything is literally falling out. I know it’s turning into a downward spiral because now I’m an emotional wreck, so all I want to do is sit around. I NEED to believe that I can rehab myself to where I can live an active life with these prolapses. I just feel so discouraged right now because I don’t understand why I never even used to know I had a rectocele, and now it’s almost hanging out of me. I know women rehab cystoceles well but I haven’t read as many success stories on rectoceles. Emotionally I need to find some strength within me to push forward with this and find a way to feel better physically, without surgery! I have been reading your blogs like crazy, and I will continue my exercises. Do you think there is hope for me?

#10344 Reply

Tasha
    Keymaster

I do think there is hope. It can be a bit of a roller-coaster, but if you stay consistent with what we know is good for you, as far as neutral spine posture and strengthening of all of the muscles of your pelvic basket, you will ride the roller coaster back up and eventually you won’t have so many peaks and valleys.

I know its hard when you can’t pin point why things have regressed. I have a hypotheses in your case – Do me a favor and stop all Kegels. Keep working the Hab it exercises for every other muscle of your pelvic basket, but just eliminate all 2 step Kegels. Some times when we try so hard to contract our pelvic floor muscles, we end up with a muscle spasm. When this group of muscles (your pelvic floor) go into spasm, things feel very weak and our symptoms can increase because although our muscles are tight, they are also worn out and therefore very weak. You can read about this in the section titled “Pelvic Floor Muscle Spasms” within the Educate Yourself material on this website.

Stay the course. Things will bounce back.

tasha

#10355 Reply

Amanda

Thank you Tasha, this is just what I needed to hear. I will try this, and update you in a week or so. Thanks for all you do!
    Amanda

#10369 Reply

Kelly

I just wanted to say to Amanda that I too suffer from rectocele. It seemed to be getting worse and so I stopped all kegels (as Tasha suggested) to see what would happen. Well, guess what?? I feel SO much better! I hardly notice the rectocele at all now and it previously was consuming me! I know everything you read and everybody you talk to will say “do your kegels”. I also suffer from cystocele and I do believe they are helpful for that but bad bad bad for rectocele! Getting any of my doctors to agree with me has been impossible. So now it’s hard to know what to do. I do do the multifidi lifts as Tasha suggests and those do make me feel better. Just thought I would tell you my experience as I can totally relate to your issues. Good luck in your journey to feeling better!
    Kelly

#10381 Reply

Tasha
    Keymaster

I couldn’t have said it better myself, Kelly! Fantastic advice and thank you for sharing. You say that you don’t know what to do but you do – you do what makes your body feel best. Work your TA, multifidi, adductors, and deep hip rotators. Just leave those Kegels out because your body holds on a bit too tight 🙂

tasha

#10407 Reply

Amanda

Kelly, thank you so much for your encouragement 🙂 it’s nice having other women to relate to!

Tasha, I stopped all kegels and had been feeling slightly better, but now I’m back to being more symptomatic than ever. I had a really busy day yesterday (worked long hours with the horses and had to carry my little man a lot) and my bulge is now coming out the opening. To make matters worse, I am beyond stressed, so now I am constipated too. We are moving in a week and I don’t know how I will get through this without destroying all progress I’ve made (if I haven’t already). Is it possible for my bulge to get much worse (along with my symptoms) and then to recover from this? I skipped Hab-it today because my muscles feel too weak to do it and I think my body needs a break. I know the next week or so is going to be really hard on my body. I will focus on posture as best I can but I’m scared my bulges and heaviness won’t recover. Any advice?

#10412 Reply

Amanda

I told my PT that my bulge was lower than ever, and she told me I may need to wear a pessary when I’m active. I really don’t want to do this because I was really hoping to improve my symptoms and strength to where I can ride, walk, be very active without needing a pessary. I am going to look into the low rise tri shorts you recommend. I also ordered sea sponges but I have not used them. I’m torn on trying them because I want to conquer this on my own..so I guess my question is, with my bulge coming out of my vagina slightly am I just causing more damage by continuing to work, lift my son, pack for our move, vacuum, etc? I am VERY aware of my posture, I am doing Habit daily minus the kegels right now, but I can’t cope with my fear of doing irreversible damage to my prolapse. My doctors have all told me not to worry about it..I can wear a pessary if needed, have another baby, and then have surgery. I can’t accept this because I do not want that. I want to be a success story like you-a fit, active mom, enjoying life and keeping my prolapse under control. I feel as though I should’ve started my rehab of the prolapses right after my son was born..but I didn’t know I had them till he was 16 months. Reading your site is what’s keeping me going right now!

#10443 Reply

Tasha
    Keymaster

Amanda,
    My prolapse was the same as yours at its worst. There were days when I wondered the same thing…”Will it lift again?” The answer is yes. You are doing the right thing by being aware of your posture and by engaging that TA to draw all of your anterior connective tissue up. With a consistent approach you continue to see and experience less of the ups and downs over time. On the other hand, it is important to listen to your body and you may need to schedule some down time within each of your work days where you can get on your stomach or your hands and knees and “re-set” everything!

tasha

#10453 Reply

Devorah

What does TA refer to? transabdominals?

#10457 Reply

Amanda

Thank you Tasha, you are such an inspiration. I wish I lived closer so I could come train with you in person! Today I experienced a slight improvement in my symptoms for part of the day, so that is encouraging. I don’t know what Id do without your DVD, blogs, and personal success story. There is so much fear that comes with feeling a bulge literally coming out of me..but I need to press on and strengthen my body 🙂 thanks again

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Reply To: Cystocele/rectocele discomfort
Your information: