Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Cystocele, rectocele and job requirements to stand for long periods

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Megan Dundas

Hi Tasha,

I was recently diagnosed with a “mild” cystocele and a rectocele that my gynecologist also thought was mild as it is located more distal along my rectum (she made it sound as though location along the rectum mattered). I have an appointment with a physiotherapist in 7 weeks and I’ve started your videos in the meantime. I am 40 yrs old and almost 2 yrs post-partum with my one and only son.

I am a veterinarian and my job is physically demanding. I’m wondering if you have any tips for posture during prolonged periods of standing while I’m in surgery. I also lift heavy dogs — any tips for posture/breathing while lifting? Finally, should I be asking to not be on surgery for some time or even longer-term?

I have tremendous anxiety about this diagnosis and am trying to keep it together. Thank you so much for what you do and for helping so many women like myself. You provide a much needed source of hope and comfort and it is appreciated more than you can possibly know!

Megan

Tasha
    Keymaster

Megan,
    The best way to ease your anxiety is to feel well informed and to truly understand your body. I highly encourage you to spend time reading through my Educate Yourself section to help gain a deeper understanding of posture, breathing, and exercise.

As for your posture while in surgery – an attempt to stay in neutral spine would be key. Keep that tailbone slightly lifted and your chest up, drawing your TA taught with positioning.

Lifting recommendations would be to have a tech hep with any animal greater than 50+lb. The most difficult lift would be the animal on the floor because you have to round your back to get down and scoop them up. If you can brain storm techniques or equipment that may help this, like tables that raise and lower, so that you could get the animal onto a lower table and then raise them up? I know thats an expense but I am just brainstorming.

Bottom line – we can figure out adjustments that allow you to continue your practice without increasing your symptoms.

tAsha

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.