Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Cystocele and long plane rides

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Louise

I had posted this question last week and haven’t seen it here so I’m trying again. I was diagnosed with a grade 2/3 cystocele and have a trip planned to japan the first week of May. My gyn fitted me with a pessary. It’s not going well. I have a follow up in a few days. I’m meeting with a PT who specializes in women’s pelvic issues. It’s slow going. I’m running out of time and worried about this trip. I can’t stand or sit comfortably for very long. I’m about to cancel my flight and I’m feeling very discouraged. I’m going to try to get a referral to a urogynocologist but I don’t know if I can get in, in time. My anxiety is through the roof. Any suggestions? My PT says I’m hypertonic and I’m doing very gentle kegels. I’m also in bladder training since I feel like peeing all the time. Has anyone traveled with this?

Nancy

Hi Louise, I read your post and thought that if your pessary fitting is not going well you could try a ‘sea sponge’ in the mean time as an alternative. They are a natural sponge that is commonly used for menstruation, although it seems that many women have been using them successfully as a pessary-type replacement for support of their prolapse. Just do a google search for menstrual sponge and you will see what I am referring to. You may be able to find one locally to try. They are sold at our local health food store. And one tip: wet it and wring it out before inserting rather than trying to insert it dry.

Also, are you doing the hab-it exercises? They will definitely help with all of your symptoms!

Good luck on your trip.
    Nancy.

Tasha
    Keymaster

Louise
    I love Nancy’s sea sponge suggestion. A pessary should not be uncomfortable – so go ahead and take that out. Sounds like it is not fitting well.

Also, you mention that you have been told you are hypertonic – I would recommend stopping your Kegels, and instead focusing on your posture and the other muscles of your pelvic basket.

All of this being said, I don’t think you need to cancel your flight. You can make this work. Begin reading the Educate yourself section to get a jumpt start on your recovery!

Tasha

Louise

Thanks Tasha–I did go on my trip and am so glad I did. I listened to my body and rested when I needed to. The worry was much worse than the reality. I’m glad I didn’t give in to my fears. Now I’m back home and determined to get even better!

Tasha
    Keymaster

Awesome Louise! Thank you for letting us know – and you are right – our worries are usually worse than reality!!!

tasha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.