Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! cycling

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    corakeen

Hi Tasha,
    I noticed you are a triathlete and as such I have a couple of bike position questions for you. The first is somewhat related to pelvic floor and the second is not really, but you might be able to help
    1) What is the best back position while riding. should the riders hips be tucked under? should there be an arch, or more rounded in the lower back?
    2) I went on a hard ride the other day and my hamstrings were more engaged and hurting than my quads, is this correct, or do I need to do something to teach my quads to be more dominant?
    Thanks in advance!

Tasha
    Keymaster

Corakeen,
    1.Do not tuck your hips on the bike. If you are uncomfortable because of pressure on your pubic bone, then look to a seat with a front cut out, but rolling forward on your sit bone is a must. This leaves you with a soft lordotic curve (arch) or neutral spine. Perfect positioning!
    2.Great your hamstrings were engaged. This is the difference between a tri bike and a road bike. You reach further forward on a tri bike to allow your ride to recruit glutes, hamstrings, and quads. This leaves a little more juice in your quads for that run. On a road bike, the seat post is more upright, specifically targeting your quads to push straight down on the pedals. No need to save your quads because there is no run to follow the ride. Most road bikers have giant quads because of this!

One quick note – I have moved some triathletes seat posts forward if they have chronic hamstring strains or cramping on the run. I do this recognizing that these patients have a “weak link” that we must protect. By moving their seat forward I am quieting the hamstring involvement and depending more on the quads.

Great question! Fun to answer 🙂

Tasha

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.