Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Back to work

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Karla

Hi Tasha! I am so happy that I have found your website, and your DVD. I am currently 8 weeks postpartum with my 2nd child. During my pregnancy, my abdominal muscles separated, and I began having a lot of trouble with incontinence. At 2 weeks postpartum, I discovered I had a cystocele, which was confirmed by my OB at 6 weeks pp. At only 29 years old, I was devastated. I was no longer having trouble with incontinence, but wanted to do all I could to strengthen my pelvic floor. I immediately purchased your DVD, and have been going the exercises in your workout 1 for one week. I’m already seeing such improvements with the look of my cystocele, and I can’t tell you how elated I am!

My questions for you: I am an RN, and I work in an Adult ICU. I’m on my feet 13 hours a day, 3 times a week. My job requires heavy lifting, turning and pulling, and I’m concerned that I will have trouble once I get back to work. Are there any type of support garments I should look into to use during my work day? Any tips for protecting myself while I turn my patients? Should I engage my TA muscles before pulling and turning?

Also, any other exercises I should focus on to get my abdomen stronger after my muscle separation?

Again, I thank you so much for your website and DVD! I will keep you up to date with my progress!

Tasha Mulligan

Karla – I responded to your same question on the blog “Own Your Body”, but wanted to give the same reply here so everyone can catch my recommendations.

For you and your job, posture will be the most important thing! Hear me again – Focus on Your Posture!!! Your job is very demanding, but you can do it with strong control of your posture and your lifting habits.

I have several tips for you: the first is that you will probably have to work beyond the Hab It dvd. The dvd will give you a solid base and will help reduce your diastasis recti but because of the demanding nature of your job, you will have to strengthen beyond the Hab It dvd. You can get this from the Advanced Program. This program will have more advanced TA moves that will help to further reduce your diastasis and help build your endurance for the lifting you will be doing and the long hours at work.

Second, you will have to be sure to breath out every time you exert to lift a patient and you are correct, you should engage your TA and draw your pelvic floor up before you lift.
    Third, I would recommend wearing compression shorts to improve the “proprioception” of the perineal area. I love Desoto low rise triathalon shorts.

Finally, you will have to be patient and consistent with your posture and exercises. But even with this, you will have to build your bodies endurance when you first return to work.

-Tasha

Karla

Thank you so much!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.