Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Advance program

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kassie

Hi Tasha,

Thank you so much for your knowledge and willingness to help! You’ve not only helped me physically, but emotionally too. I was diagnosed at three weeks postpartum with a grade one cystocele and a grade two rectocele. I am now ten weeks postpartum and have completed six weeks of your Hab-it dvd. I’ve had significant progress in reducing my symptoms. My slight incontinence has stopped and most days of the weeks I’ve only had mild symptoms of a bulge. I decided to move onto your advanced program and completed 3/7 days. I noticed after the third day I was feeling more symptomatic and the bulge feeling is more prominent. I feel like I have regressed. I am wondering if I should go back to just doing the Hab-it video and wait until I am stronger or if I should continue? I’m not sure if the symptoms I am feeling is just part of having a prolapse, where you have “good” and “bad” days. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you again for all you have done to help.
    Kind Regards,
    Kassie

Tasha
    Keymaster

Kassie,
    No, if you have done 7 weeks of the Hab It program, then you have set your base. Don’t give up on the 7 Day – it is a tough program but will take your confidence in your core strength to a new level. Be sure you are not breath holding with any of the exercises and you may want to begin the program by working all planks with your hands on the 2nd or 3rd stair. Allow your body to adjust to this new level of workout over the next week before you give up on it! Sometimes the increase in symptoms is the bodies recognition of new stress, but it will usually respond to increased stress in a postive way and become even stronger!

tasha

Kassie

Thank you so much. I will continue with the 7 day program and implement your suggestions. Just wanted to express again how grateful I am for your program. I have learned so much in reading your blog posts. I am feeling stronger each day as I practice good posture and do the exercises. You are a blessing.

Kassie

Hi Tasha,

I took your advice above and continued on with the 7 day advance program. You were right! My body adjusted and I am now 99% symptom free (except for 3 days when my cycle recently came back). I have been doing the 7 day advance program for roughly 10 weeks and I do it faithfully. I have also finally figured out how to hold my posture. It took awhile, at first I was not engaging my TA enough while sitting and standing, and then I started engaging it too hard. Now, I feel like I have found that perfect balance and am symptom free. I have a few questions about where to go from here…

*Do I start your cardio videos? I feel strong but at the same time I have had six children and my body still has some work to go. I can’t do all the repetitions in the advance program, but I’m close on most of them…

*I stopped the kegels awhile ago because I was feeling my tailbone pull and it became more sore. From reading your blog, I think I might be hypertonic…I feel the same pull when I set my core when picking up my children. On the days that I have to do this a lot my lower back feels sore. I also feel this ache in my tailbone during random times, but it doesn’t happen as often as it used to. I have been trying to do some of the relaxation exercises that your recommended from Brianne. Is there a point where I should start the kegels again? Should I periodically check to see how my body responds to them?

One last question…

*My left hip flexor seems tight at times and it will pop when I do some of the exercises (not painful). I also rarely feel a little numbness in my lower back and think it’s sciatic pain because it will go down my left leg. My left leg is also a little weaker. Are there exercises I can do to help relax my left leg?

I’m sorry for all the questions, but I trust your opinion and you have helped me immensely. I can’t say thank you enough!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

Kind Regards,
    Kassie

Tasha
    Keymaster

Kassie,
    Nope -don’t go back to Kegels. Your description shows that you are co-contracting your pelvic floor with daily activities, so you are well trained 🙂 No need for isolated Kegels at this point.

On your back numbness and left leg symptoms – would love to have you checked for leg length by a physical therapist. I wear a heel lift due to similar symptoms (have since I was 25…so 18 years) Symptom free with lift – will feel some symptoms return in my right leg when I wear sandals without lifts several days in a row.
    This is just something to investigate. You can do a rough look yourself by laying on your back with both legs (knees straight) straight up at 90 degress hip flexion. Look at your ankle bones – are they even??? Beyond this – please know that all Hab It exercise program are targeted pelvis and low back stability exercises so you are doing the right things for yourself – just may have to correct your balance from the ground up!

Finally, please progress to the Hab It Cardio program – you will love it. You are read for a new training block and this is a further level of education on postiioning, strengthening, etc. Go for it and let us all know how it goes!

tasha

Jamie

Hi Kassie and Tasha!

I was just about to ask the same question! I started the advanced stabilization program and have more symptoms of a bulge too. When did that get better for you? I’m afraid I’m making it worse. I’ve been doing the 2 step kegals every day still. When do I stop those? Kassie, how did you correct your posture because I feel like I’m doing the same thing trying to hold my belly up and in too much maybe?

Thanks,
    Jamie

Tasha
    Keymaster

Jamie,
    Stop the 2 step Kegels when you start the advanced. There is enough pelvic floor TA co-contraction in this program that you no longer have to isolate the pelvic floor.

If the increased bulge does not decrease within the first 2 weeks, then we are off on our technique or breathing with the exercises. If it does decrease, then your body has just strengthened to a new level to match the stress from the new exercises.

TAsha

Jamie

Hi Tasha,

I seem to be getting worse. I was getting better during the habit exercises but after 2 weeks of the advanced, I feel more of a bulge. I’ve read all the breathing and posture education so I’m not sure where I’m messing it up. Could I be over activating my TA?

Tasha
    Keymaster

Jamie,
    You can’t over activate your TA, but you can accidently recruit your RA. Read through those TA vs RA entries in the Pelvic Basket Muscles section!

Why don’t you take a week and go back to the Hab It exercises and “re-set”. Then as you come back to the advanced program, assess how you feel after each exercise and lets work through this!

tasha

Jamie

Okay I’ll start back on the hab-it tomorrow! I feel stronger and the incontinence is gone but just the feeling of the bulge is driving me crazy!

Jamie

Tasha,

Okay so I’m back doing the Hab-it program. Still really feeling the bulge. Should I be completely symptom free (no bulge/heaviness feeling) before moving back to the advanced program? Also, should I wait to try jogging until that feeling is gone too?

Jamie

Tasha
    Keymaster

Jamie,
    Yes, you should feel very much in control before moving on. If you continue to feel the bulge, then we are still missing something! Need to go deliberately through each exercise and assess what increases or decreases your symptoms.

Assess posture, breathing, and activation of each muscle of your pelvic basket!

tasha

Jamie

Okay so I went back to the habit. I feel stronger, I feel like I know how to contract my pelvic floor, my TA, multifidi, etc. I’ve been working hard on my posture and my breathing. Some days I feel like it’s getting better. I played 9 holes of golf and actually felt better. But then days like this I’m so confused. I felt pretty good this morning but then after sitting (in good posture) to do my notes (I’m a physical therapist too). I stood up and the bulge is significantly worse. I’ve been working SO hard and am dying to get back to the advanced program and running and plyo and all the things I love but this bulge is so bad I’m afraid I’ll make it worse. I’m 5 months post baby and starting to lose hope. Still breastfeeding, could that be part of it? I’ve had biofeedback and I doing kegals correctly. Any other suggestions? Could I be holding my belly in too much??

Kassie Howe

Hi Jamie! I don’t have a lot of time right now to write a lot (I have lots of little kiddo’s running around), but I just wanted to mention a few things…I have been exclusively breastfeeding, but my cycle came back 2 months ago (it’s still irregular, though), but this made a big difference for me! Also, I have changed my diet and schedule to where I have a bowel movement in the mornings as opposed to later in the day. This for me has helped with the bulge feeling. These are just a few things in addition to all the wonderful things Tasha offers. Keep at it! Sending you encouragement!

Jamie

Thank you Kassie!!! My cycle hasn’t come back yet so hoping that helps! I also noticed I was really holding my whole belly in and think I have been recruiting my RA. Trying to relax it more now which is super hard for me!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.