Hab-it Exercises Forums Ask Tasha! Abs exercises

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Natalia

English is not my native language – sorry if I write something wrong. I\’m 27 years old, 5 months PP with my 1st baby, discovered a bladder prolapse at my 6 weeks check up. I\’m doing hab-it dvd for 2 months but I still have weak abs after pregnancy. E.g. I can\’t hold my abs tight for a long period of time in hands and knees leg extensions exercise. 1) Which exercises can I do to strengthen abs? 2) I\’ve tried head and shoulders raise exercise with my finger in vagina () and I feel that my prolapse moving up above the pubic bone when I raise my head. Does it mean that this exercise is safe for me?

Natalia
    Tasha Mulligan

Natalia,
    If you are having a hard time holding your TA (lower abs) in a hands and knees position, I would recommend you continue to work more of this. The hands and knees position is the easiest position to isolate your TA and this is a muscle that is required to regain full control and support of your pelvic floor. Work 2-3 hands and knees TA exercises per day to progress your strength. Eventually you want to progress to the plank exercises on Workout 4 and then on to our Advanced Workout where you will find a steady progression of difficulty of abdominal strengthening.

I caution you on the exercise you have linked to simply because your RA is naturally going to be stronger than your TA and you don’t want it to take over before you establish your TA strength again. Your TA should always fire before your RA. Go slow and be consistent with your exercises on the Hab It dvd to ensure you reset this firing pattern!

-Tasha

emily

Hi Tasha,
    I love the swiss ball slalom exercise from the advanced series, and I’ve been trying to do 30 reps most days for the past several weeks. I feel like my abs seem to be bulging more and am concerned that perhaps I’m doing it wrong or recruiting the RA bc my TA are too weak? Are there any form concerns I should be aware of with this exercise?
    Thanks!
    Emily

Tasha Mulligan

Emily,
    You are fine with this exercise with the only form concern being a sagging back. It is your TA that will prevent this! I would, however, recommend you focus more on one of the plank hold with extension exercises such as “Plank hold with hip extension” – on the ball or without the ball, “Plank hold with horiz. arm abduction” or “Plank hold walk outs”. These are great exercises that work your TA when you are in solid neutral spine, requiring good muscle control. These exercises will draw your belly in and you won’t have any concerns with bulging of the RA. Reduce your swiss ball slalom use to just once a week and instead perform one of the above plank exercises daily for great results.

-Tasha

emily

Thanks, Tasha! I definitely feel I’m fighting a sagging back with the slalom. I wasn’t sure if I should be sticking my butt up more to prevent it or trying to stay horizontal with the ground. I will try the others. The hand walk outs are a challenge for me – hard to balance – does that indicate my TA isn’t very strong?

Emily

Tasha Mulligan

Emily,
    Yes, if the walk outs are tough, then both your TA and Obliques need to get stronger. Just walk out until the ball is at your thighs to begin, then progress to where the ball is at your knees, and then at your feet. Progress slowly so that you allow your smaller muscles, TA and obliques, to progress instead of having your RA take over. Also, be careful of “sticking your butt up” when stabilizing in the plank position. This activates your RA. So your other description of being horizontal or parallel to the floor is perfect.

My best advice is to roll through all of the plank exercises on the Advanced Program. Just decrease reps and allow your body time to progress.

-Tasha

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask Tasha!’ is closed to new topics and replies.